Oct 2, 2013, 2:24 PM EST
The second Dustin Penner era in Anaheim is off to an inauspicious start.
According to various reports out of Colorado, where the Ducks will face the Avs tonight, Penner has been dropped from the opening-night lineup, a surprising development given he was, at one point, skating with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf on the club’s top line during training camp.
“That’s up to them [the coaches],” Getzlaf told the L.A. Times about Penner potentially being stratched. “He’s got to work his way into the lineup like everybody else.”
According to Fox Sports’ Lisa Hillary, Penner was skating with coaches and extra players following this morning’s skate, a pretty solid indicator he wouldn’t be in the lineup.
Penner, 31, signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Ducks this past summer, reuniting the “Kid Line” of himself, Getzlaf and Perry — one that to prominence during the 2006-07 season and was a driving force behind the first and only Stanley Cup in franchise history.
That year, Penner scored a career-high 29 goals and emerged as a budding star power forward, leading to him signing a five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet with Edmonton.
Training camp proved to be a letdown, though. Penner failed to impress on the club’s top line and, last week, Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau classified Penner’s camp as “mediocre.”
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 14
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 21
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 30
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)