Oct 2, 2013, 2:24 PM EDT
The second Dustin Penner era in Anaheim is off to an inauspicious start.
According to various reports out of Colorado, where the Ducks will face the Avs tonight, Penner has been dropped from the opening-night lineup, a surprising development given he was, at one point, skating with Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf on the club’s top line during training camp.
“That’s up to them [the coaches],” Getzlaf told the L.A. Times about Penner potentially being stratched. “He’s got to work his way into the lineup like everybody else.”
According to Fox Sports’ Lisa Hillary, Penner was skating with coaches and extra players following this morning’s skate, a pretty solid indicator he wouldn’t be in the lineup.
Penner, 31, signed a one-year, $2 million deal with the Ducks this past summer, reuniting the “Kid Line” of himself, Getzlaf and Perry — one that to prominence during the 2006-07 season and was a driving force behind the first and only Stanley Cup in franchise history.
That year, Penner scored a career-high 29 goals and emerged as a budding star power forward, leading to him signing a five-year, $21.25 million offer sheet with Edmonton.
Training camp proved to be a letdown, though. Penner failed to impress on the club’s top line and, last week, Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau classified Penner’s camp as “mediocre.”
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)