Oct 2, 2013, 11:18 AM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed veteran forward Chuck Kobasew to a one-year, $550,000 contract.
From the press release:
Kobasew, 31, attended training camp with the Penguins on a professional tryout contract. He suited up for five exhibition games, tying for second on the club with two goals while posting an even rating.
Originally drafted by the Calgary Flames in the first round (14th overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft, Kobasew has played 10 NHL seasons with Calgary, Boston, Minnesota and Colorado, totaling 208 points (108G-100A), 30 power-play goals and 18 game-winning tallies in 568 career regular-season games.
The 6-foot, 192-pound forward spent the previous two seasons playing with Colorado, totaling 23 points (12G-11A) in 95 regular-season contests. His plus-6 rating in 2012-13 ranked first among all Avalanche forwards.
Kobasew’s best offensive season came in 2008-09 when he scored 42 points, including 21 goals, for the Boston Bruins. But he’s not joining the Pens for his offense. He was a constant on the penalty kill last year with the Avs, averaging 1:46 per game in shorthanded ice time.
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 5
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 75
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 3
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 13
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)