Oct 2, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed veteran forward Chuck Kobasew to a one-year, $550,000 contract.
From the press release:
Kobasew, 31, attended training camp with the Penguins on a professional tryout contract. He suited up for five exhibition games, tying for second on the club with two goals while posting an even rating.
Originally drafted by the Calgary Flames in the first round (14th overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft, Kobasew has played 10 NHL seasons with Calgary, Boston, Minnesota and Colorado, totaling 208 points (108G-100A), 30 power-play goals and 18 game-winning tallies in 568 career regular-season games.
The 6-foot, 192-pound forward spent the previous two seasons playing with Colorado, totaling 23 points (12G-11A) in 95 regular-season contests. His plus-6 rating in 2012-13 ranked first among all Avalanche forwards.
Kobasew’s best offensive season came in 2008-09 when he scored 42 points, including 21 goals, for the Boston Bruins. But he’s not joining the Pens for his offense. He was a constant on the penalty kill last year with the Avs, averaging 1:46 per game in shorthanded ice time.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 4
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 15
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 19
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)