Oct 2, 2013, 11:18 AM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed veteran forward Chuck Kobasew to a one-year, $550,000 contract.
From the press release:
Kobasew, 31, attended training camp with the Penguins on a professional tryout contract. He suited up for five exhibition games, tying for second on the club with two goals while posting an even rating.
Originally drafted by the Calgary Flames in the first round (14th overall) of the 2001 NHL Draft, Kobasew has played 10 NHL seasons with Calgary, Boston, Minnesota and Colorado, totaling 208 points (108G-100A), 30 power-play goals and 18 game-winning tallies in 568 career regular-season games.
The 6-foot, 192-pound forward spent the previous two seasons playing with Colorado, totaling 23 points (12G-11A) in 95 regular-season contests. His plus-6 rating in 2012-13 ranked first among all Avalanche forwards.
Kobasew’s best offensive season came in 2008-09 when he scored 42 points, including 21 goals, for the Boston Bruins. But he’s not joining the Pens for his offense. He was a constant on the penalty kill last year with the Avs, averaging 1:46 per game in shorthanded ice time.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)