Oct 2, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
The New York Rangers will be without forward Carl Hagelin for at least the first 10 games of the regular season and while Hagelin hopes it won’t be more, he’s hesitant to put a timetable on his return.
“My shoulder feels good, it’s getting better and everything’s healed,” Hagelin told the Bergen Record. “I understand the process. I try not to think about it [a timetable].
“I’m just going day by day. I know it’s a long process.”
Hagelin, 25, underwent left shoulder surgery during the offseason and was placed on LTIR to start the year, ruling him out for essentially the first month of the season.
The Swedish speedster did report some positives, though. He said there’s no pain in the shoulder and has resumed doing all hockey-related activities aside from absorbing contact. What’s more, he’s in great shape thanks to a rigorous skating and conditioning program.
“Being in my best shape, my conditioning, it’s something I pride myself in,” he told the New York Daily News. “Right now, it feels light out there on the ice, in a way.
“It shouldn’t be a matter of getting into game shape [when I return] as much as just getting back into game habits.”
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 13
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 76
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 4
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 88
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 83
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 172
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (172)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (88)
- Bruins’ Kelly out with broken ankle after Dupuis slash (86)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (83)