Oct 2, 2013, 8:30 PM EST
The New York Rangers will be without forward Carl Hagelin for at least the first 10 games of the regular season and while Hagelin hopes it won’t be more, he’s hesitant to put a timetable on his return.
“My shoulder feels good, it’s getting better and everything’s healed,” Hagelin told the Bergen Record. “I understand the process. I try not to think about it [a timetable].
“I’m just going day by day. I know it’s a long process.”
Hagelin, 25, underwent left shoulder surgery during the offseason and was placed on LTIR to start the year, ruling him out for essentially the first month of the season.
The Swedish speedster did report some positives, though. He said there’s no pain in the shoulder and has resumed doing all hockey-related activities aside from absorbing contact. What’s more, he’s in great shape thanks to a rigorous skating and conditioning program.
“Being in my best shape, my conditioning, it’s something I pride myself in,” he told the New York Daily News. “Right now, it feels light out there on the ice, in a way.
“It shouldn’t be a matter of getting into game shape [when I return] as much as just getting back into game habits.”
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 17
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 3
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)