Oct 2, 2013, 8:30 PM EDT
The New York Rangers will be without forward Carl Hagelin for at least the first 10 games of the regular season and while Hagelin hopes it won’t be more, he’s hesitant to put a timetable on his return.
“My shoulder feels good, it’s getting better and everything’s healed,” Hagelin told the Bergen Record. “I understand the process. I try not to think about it [a timetable].
“I’m just going day by day. I know it’s a long process.”
Hagelin, 25, underwent left shoulder surgery during the offseason and was placed on LTIR to start the year, ruling him out for essentially the first month of the season.
The Swedish speedster did report some positives, though. He said there’s no pain in the shoulder and has resumed doing all hockey-related activities aside from absorbing contact. What’s more, he’s in great shape thanks to a rigorous skating and conditioning program.
“Being in my best shape, my conditioning, it’s something I pride myself in,” he told the New York Daily News. “Right now, it feels light out there on the ice, in a way.
“It shouldn’t be a matter of getting into game shape [when I return] as much as just getting back into game habits.”
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)