Oct 2, 2013, 1:51 PM EST
Dallas Eakins wasn’t sounding too impressed after his first regular-season game as Edmonton’s head coach.
And really, can you blame him? The Oilers were sloppy and careless with the puck in blowing a 4-2 lead last night at home versus Winnipeg, eventually losing 5-4 to the Jets.
“There’s a ton of work to be done,” said Eakins, per the Edmonton Sun. “There were some good things in that game. I liked the shot attempts. We were doing a good job there. But there are habits here. We have to make sure they die. We had cross-ice passes with no support. We didn’t manage the puck well. You don’t try to beat three guys by yourself.”
One of those “cross-ice passes with no support” was courtesy Taylor Hall, and it led to Winnipeg’s fourth goal.
It’s a tough task, moving from wing to center, and one that comes with added responsibilities, particularly defensively.
“In the offensive zone, there’s no set goal of where you’re supposed to be, whether it’s a cycle or bringing pucks to the net,” Hall said early last month, “but in the defensive zone, the centerman is down low, doing the dirty work to get the puck back.”
The Oilers’ next game is Saturday night in Vancouver in front of another national TV audience.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)