Oct 2, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
Brenden Morrow is supposed to be in the St. Louis lineup on Thursday when the Blues open the season at home against Nashville.
Just one problem — his paperwork still isn’t in order.
Morrow, a Canadian citizen, couldn’t apply for a working visa until he signed a contract with an NHL club — which he did on Sept. 23.
The 34-year-old had applied for a green card in May through his wife (who is a U.S. citizen), but hadn’t heard back on where that process stood.
Hence, the work visa application…which has also yet to come through.
“Obviously I’m worried,” Morrow told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m going to be really disappointed if it doesn’t get worked out. I’ve paid this government a lot of money. You’d think they’d be able to get the paperwork done.
“I’ll be disappointed, (but) I’m still very hopeful that it’s going to get done. But I don’t know.”
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock has Morrow penciled in for second line duty alongside Derek Roy and Chris Stewart but, should Morrow not be able to go, Vladimir Sobotka will jump up from the fourth line, and Magnus Paajarvi will draw into the lineup to replace Sobotka.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 0
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 16
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 5
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 73
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (74)