Oct 2, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
Brenden Morrow is supposed to be in the St. Louis lineup on Thursday when the Blues open the season at home against Nashville.
Just one problem — his paperwork still isn’t in order.
Morrow, a Canadian citizen, couldn’t apply for a working visa until he signed a contract with an NHL club — which he did on Sept. 23.
The 34-year-old had applied for a green card in May through his wife (who is a U.S. citizen), but hadn’t heard back on where that process stood.
Hence, the work visa application…which has also yet to come through.
“Obviously I’m worried,” Morrow told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m going to be really disappointed if it doesn’t get worked out. I’ve paid this government a lot of money. You’d think they’d be able to get the paperwork done.
“I’ll be disappointed, (but) I’m still very hopeful that it’s going to get done. But I don’t know.”
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock has Morrow penciled in for second line duty alongside Derek Roy and Chris Stewart but, should Morrow not be able to go, Vladimir Sobotka will jump up from the fourth line, and Magnus Paajarvi will draw into the lineup to replace Sobotka.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 13
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)