Oct 2, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
Brenden Morrow is supposed to be in the St. Louis lineup on Thursday when the Blues open the season at home against Nashville.
Just one problem — his paperwork still isn’t in order.
Morrow, a Canadian citizen, couldn’t apply for a working visa until he signed a contract with an NHL club — which he did on Sept. 23.
The 34-year-old had applied for a green card in May through his wife (who is a U.S. citizen), but hadn’t heard back on where that process stood.
Hence, the work visa application…which has also yet to come through.
“Obviously I’m worried,” Morrow told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “I’m going to be really disappointed if it doesn’t get worked out. I’ve paid this government a lot of money. You’d think they’d be able to get the paperwork done.
“I’ll be disappointed, (but) I’m still very hopeful that it’s going to get done. But I don’t know.”
Blues head coach Ken Hitchcock has Morrow penciled in for second line duty alongside Derek Roy and Chris Stewart but, should Morrow not be able to go, Vladimir Sobotka will jump up from the fourth line, and Magnus Paajarvi will draw into the lineup to replace Sobotka.
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 6
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 4
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 36
- Report: Gryba, Tropp avoid punishment after getting tossed for hits 6
- What they’re saying about the Sabres (and it’s not good) 22
- NHL on NBCSN: Caps, Red Wings battle after hotly contested 13-14 series 5
- Miller wins 300th, Canes finish Oct. without single victory 7
- Video: Backes crashes into Daley, falls to ice hard (Updated) 5
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (61)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)