Oct 2, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Over the last few months, Henrik Lunqvist has intimated he didn’t want to discuss his contract status once the regular season began.
Today, made it official.
“This will be the last time you hear me talk about it,” Lundqvist told the Bergen Record. “Unfortunately we don’t have a deal right now. For me now it’s time to just focus on the game. I want to have all my thoughts on playing as well as I can and winning. That’s all my focus is. That’s all I care about.”
Lundqvist, 31, is in the final year of a six-year, $41.25 million deal that pays $6.875 annually. A Vezina finalist two years running — winning the trophy in 2011-12 — it’s expected he’ll become the NHL’s highest-paid goalie when he signs his new deal, surpassing the top current cap hit of $7 million that belongs to both Pekka Rinne and Tuukka Rask.
But for now, Lundqvist won’t wade into negotiations.
He did say the Rangers are free to speak to his representation — Newport Sports’ Don Meehan — but re-iterated that he won’t speak to the club or Meehan about a new deal.
“If they continue to talk, the Rangers and my agent, so be it,” Lundqvist explained. “But for me personally I’m not going to get involved. I’m not going to talk to my agent.
“Right now, all I care about is to play well.”
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)