Oct 2, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Over the last few months, Henrik Lunqvist has intimated he didn’t want to discuss his contract status once the regular season began.
Today, made it official.
“This will be the last time you hear me talk about it,” Lundqvist told the Bergen Record. “Unfortunately we don’t have a deal right now. For me now it’s time to just focus on the game. I want to have all my thoughts on playing as well as I can and winning. That’s all my focus is. That’s all I care about.”
Lundqvist, 31, is in the final year of a six-year, $41.25 million deal that pays $6.875 annually. A Vezina finalist two years running — winning the trophy in 2011-12 — it’s expected he’ll become the NHL’s highest-paid goalie when he signs his new deal, surpassing the top current cap hit of $7 million that belongs to both Pekka Rinne and Tuukka Rask.
But for now, Lundqvist won’t wade into negotiations.
He did say the Rangers are free to speak to his representation — Newport Sports’ Don Meehan — but re-iterated that he won’t speak to the club or Meehan about a new deal.
“If they continue to talk, the Rangers and my agent, so be it,” Lundqvist explained. “But for me personally I’m not going to get involved. I’m not going to talk to my agent.
“Right now, all I care about is to play well.”
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)