Oct 2, 2013, 3:34 PM EDT
Over the last few months, Henrik Lunqvist has intimated he didn’t want to discuss his contract status once the regular season began.
Today, made it official.
“This will be the last time you hear me talk about it,” Lundqvist told the Bergen Record. “Unfortunately we don’t have a deal right now. For me now it’s time to just focus on the game. I want to have all my thoughts on playing as well as I can and winning. That’s all my focus is. That’s all I care about.”
Lundqvist, 31, is in the final year of a six-year, $41.25 million deal that pays $6.875 annually. A Vezina finalist two years running — winning the trophy in 2011-12 — it’s expected he’ll become the NHL’s highest-paid goalie when he signs his new deal, surpassing the top current cap hit of $7 million that belongs to both Pekka Rinne and Tuukka Rask.
But for now, Lundqvist won’t wade into negotiations.
He did say the Rangers are free to speak to his representation — Newport Sports’ Don Meehan — but re-iterated that he won’t speak to the club or Meehan about a new deal.
“If they continue to talk, the Rangers and my agent, so be it,” Lundqvist explained. “But for me personally I’m not going to get involved. I’m not going to talk to my agent.
“Right now, all I care about is to play well.”
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (118)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)