Oct 2, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
A pair of veteran NHLers are headed overseas after being released from their training camp PTOs.
Guillaume Latendresse, who was in camp with the Coyotes, has agreed to join the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League A.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, Latendresse scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
While he looked good at times during the preseason, Phoenix didn’t make a contract offer and released him on Sept. 21.
Stewart, 28, is reportedly on the verge of signing with Avtomobilist of the KHL, according to Sports-Express. Stewart would (theoretically) replace another former NHLer, Eric Belanger, who left the Russian club after just seven games to announce his retirement.
Stewart has appeared in over 250 NHL contests with the Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes, last appearing in 2011-12 with Carolina (when he scored 20 points in 77 games).
The older brother of St. Louis’ Chris Stewart, Anthony split last season between Nottingham of the Elite Ice Hockey League (United Kingdom) and Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)