Oct 2, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
A pair of veteran NHLers are headed overseas after being released from their training camp PTOs.
Guillaume Latendresse, who was in camp with the Coyotes, has agreed to join the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League A.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, Latendresse scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
While he looked good at times during the preseason, Phoenix didn’t make a contract offer and released him on Sept. 21.
Stewart, 28, is reportedly on the verge of signing with Avtomobilist of the KHL, according to Sports-Express. Stewart would (theoretically) replace another former NHLer, Eric Belanger, who left the Russian club after just seven games to announce his retirement.
Stewart has appeared in over 250 NHL contests with the Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes, last appearing in 2011-12 with Carolina (when he scored 20 points in 77 games).
The older brother of St. Louis’ Chris Stewart, Anthony split last season between Nottingham of the Elite Ice Hockey League (United Kingdom) and Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)