Oct 2, 2013, 1:53 PM EDT
A pair of veteran NHLers are headed overseas after being released from their training camp PTOs.
Guillaume Latendresse, who was in camp with the Coyotes, has agreed to join the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League A.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, Latendresse scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
While he looked good at times during the preseason, Phoenix didn’t make a contract offer and released him on Sept. 21.
Stewart, 28, is reportedly on the verge of signing with Avtomobilist of the KHL, according to Sports-Express. Stewart would (theoretically) replace another former NHLer, Eric Belanger, who left the Russian club after just seven games to announce his retirement.
Stewart has appeared in over 250 NHL contests with the Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes, last appearing in 2011-12 with Carolina (when he scored 20 points in 77 games).
The older brother of St. Louis’ Chris Stewart, Anthony split last season between Nottingham of the Elite Ice Hockey League (United Kingdom) and Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)