Oct 2, 2013, 1:53 PM EST
A pair of veteran NHLers are headed overseas after being released from their training camp PTOs.
Guillaume Latendresse, who was in camp with the Coyotes, has agreed to join the ZSC Lions of the Swiss National League A.
A big-bodied (6-foot-2, 240 pounds) power winger with skill, Latendresse scored 73 goals in his first 287 NHL contests, including 25 in 55 games for Minnesota in 2009-10.
He was derailed by hip, hernia and concussion issues from 2010-12, then signed a one-year, $2 million deal with Ottawa last season, chipping in with 10 points in 27 games.
While he looked good at times during the preseason, Phoenix didn’t make a contract offer and released him on Sept. 21.
Stewart, 28, is reportedly on the verge of signing with Avtomobilist of the KHL, according to Sports-Express. Stewart would (theoretically) replace another former NHLer, Eric Belanger, who left the Russian club after just seven games to announce his retirement.
Stewart has appeared in over 250 NHL contests with the Panthers, Thrashers and Hurricanes, last appearing in 2011-12 with Carolina (when he scored 20 points in 77 games).
The older brother of St. Louis’ Chris Stewart, Anthony split last season between Nottingham of the Elite Ice Hockey League (United Kingdom) and Los Angeles’ AHL affiliate in Manchester.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory (53)