Oct 2, 2013, 11:12 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings officially welcomed themselves to the NHL’s new-look Eastern Conference on Wednesday night.
The Red Wings opened the season on home ice with a 2-1 win over the visiting Buffalo Sabres.
- The Red Wings didn’t need much in the way of scoring Wednesday. And their attack was relatively quick. The Wings got goals from Mikael Samuelsson and Pavel Datsyuk scored 36 seconds apart in the first period. Two goals, 36 seconds apart. Turns out hat’s all they needed.
- The Red Wings made their debut – a successful one – in the new Atlantic Division, after making the move in realignment from the Western Conference.
- Ryan Miller was the busier of the two goalies tonight. He was also quite good between the pipes, making 32 saves in a losing cause. He also denied Cory Emmerton on a short-handed penalty shot attempt in the second period.
- Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall, 32, played a game-high 25:41 and added an assist in the win.
- Wild hand Bryzgalov a training camp tryout 5
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 14
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 11
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 17
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 48
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 13
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)