Oct 2, 2013, 11:12 PM EST
The Detroit Red Wings officially welcomed themselves to the NHL’s new-look Eastern Conference on Wednesday night.
The Red Wings opened the season on home ice with a 2-1 win over the visiting Buffalo Sabres.
- The Red Wings didn’t need much in the way of scoring Wednesday. And their attack was relatively quick. The Wings got goals from Mikael Samuelsson and Pavel Datsyuk scored 36 seconds apart in the first period. Two goals, 36 seconds apart. Turns out hat’s all they needed.
- The Red Wings made their debut – a successful one – in the new Atlantic Division, after making the move in realignment from the Western Conference.
- Ryan Miller was the busier of the two goalies tonight. He was also quite good between the pipes, making 32 saves in a losing cause. He also denied Cory Emmerton on a short-handed penalty shot attempt in the second period.
- Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall, 32, played a game-high 25:41 and added an assist in the win.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)