Oct 2, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs had a difficult opening to their regular season schedule, but that hasn’t seemed to faze them.
The Leafs won their second consecutive game in a back-to-back set on the road, thanks to a 3-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday.
- Goaltending controversy? Jonathan Bernier got the start in goal for the Leafs and was solid all throughout the night. He made 31 saves, including a penalty shot stop on Wayne Simmonds late in the second period. So, now who does Toronto’s coach Randy Carlyle turn to for the Leafs’ home opener on Saturday? James Reimer was solid Tuesday in Montreal, making 34 saves for the win.
- Leafs defenseman Mark Fraser injured his knee in the third period. According to TSN’s Mark Masters, Fraser was seen outside the Wells Fargo Center on crutches.
- If there was any reservation about fighting on behalf of the players, it didn’t really show Wednesday. Brayden Schenn of the Flyers dropped the gloves for a scrap Joffrey Lupul of the Leafs in the first period, roughly 24 hours after Canadiens enforcer George Parros was knocked out when he hit the ice face-first at the end of a fight.
- Dave Bolland‘s first goal as a Maple Leaf turned out to be the winner. He then added the insurance, scoring on a late power play with 23 seconds remaining in regulation and the Flyers trailing by a goal.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)