Oct 2, 2013, 10:47 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs had a difficult opening to their regular season schedule, but that hasn’t seemed to faze them.
The Leafs won their second consecutive game in a back-to-back set on the road, thanks to a 3-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday.
- Goaltending controversy? Jonathan Bernier got the start in goal for the Leafs and was solid all throughout the night. He made 31 saves, including a penalty shot stop on Wayne Simmonds late in the second period. So, now who does Toronto’s coach Randy Carlyle turn to for the Leafs’ home opener on Saturday? James Reimer was solid Tuesday in Montreal, making 34 saves for the win.
- Leafs defenseman Mark Fraser injured his knee in the third period. According to TSN’s Mark Masters, Fraser was seen outside the Wells Fargo Center on crutches.
- If there was any reservation about fighting on behalf of the players, it didn’t really show Wednesday. Brayden Schenn of the Flyers dropped the gloves for a scrap Joffrey Lupul of the Leafs in the first period, roughly 24 hours after Canadiens enforcer George Parros was knocked out when he hit the ice face-first at the end of a fight.
- Dave Bolland‘s first goal as a Maple Leaf turned out to be the winner. He then added the insurance, scoring on a late power play with 23 seconds remaining in regulation and the Flyers trailing by a goal.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 18
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)