Oct 2, 2013, 10:47 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs had a difficult opening to their regular season schedule, but that hasn’t seemed to faze them.
The Leafs won their second consecutive game in a back-to-back set on the road, thanks to a 3-1 victory over the Philadelphia Flyers on Wednesday.
- Goaltending controversy? Jonathan Bernier got the start in goal for the Leafs and was solid all throughout the night. He made 31 saves, including a penalty shot stop on Wayne Simmonds late in the second period. So, now who does Toronto’s coach Randy Carlyle turn to for the Leafs’ home opener on Saturday? James Reimer was solid Tuesday in Montreal, making 34 saves for the win.
- Leafs defenseman Mark Fraser injured his knee in the third period. According to TSN’s Mark Masters, Fraser was seen outside the Wells Fargo Center on crutches.
- If there was any reservation about fighting on behalf of the players, it didn’t really show Wednesday. Brayden Schenn of the Flyers dropped the gloves for a scrap Joffrey Lupul of the Leafs in the first period, roughly 24 hours after Canadiens enforcer George Parros was knocked out when he hit the ice face-first at the end of a fight.
- Dave Bolland‘s first goal as a Maple Leaf turned out to be the winner. He then added the insurance, scoring on a late power play with 23 seconds remaining in regulation and the Flyers trailing by a goal.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)