Oct 2, 2013, 3:22 PM EDT
Zajac, 28, has spent his entire professional career with the Devils since being 20th overall at the 2004 NHL Entry Draft. After missing most of the 2011-12 campaign with a torn Achilles, Zajac was rewarded for his impressive ’12 playoff run (14 points in 24 games) in January by signing an eight-year, $46 million contract extension.
While this is Zajac’s first stint as a captain in the NHL, it’s worth noting he served as an alternate on the Canadian team for the 2011 IIHF World Championships, scoring three points in seven games.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63