Oct 2, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
According to Peter Chiarelli, getting Dennis Seidenberg signed to a new deal is pretty important.
Chiarelli said an extension for Seidenberg is a ‘pretty high’ priority for the Bruins, according to ESPN Boston — and, what’s more, Seidenberg feels a new deal could be completed soon.
The 32-year-old blueliner, who has been with the Bruins since 2010, will see his four-year, $13 million deal expire at season’s end. Seidenberg has been an important cog for Boston over the last few seasons, including the Stanley Cup-winning campaign of 2010-11 in which he tied a career-high with 32 points while averaging over 23 minutes a night.
Seidenberg was also a workhorse in last year’s playoffs, averaging 25:59 per game — second only to Zdeno Chara.
It’ll be interesting to see what Seidenberg will command money-wise with his new deal. His current $3.25 million cap hit is one of the league’s better bargains — considering how much and how big a role he plays — and he would likely be one of the more sought-after UFA defensemen should he go to market this summer.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)