Oct 2, 2013, 1:36 PM EDT
According to Peter Chiarelli, getting Dennis Seidenberg signed to a new deal is pretty important.
Chiarelli said an extension for Seidenberg is a ‘pretty high’ priority for the Bruins, according to ESPN Boston — and, what’s more, Seidenberg feels a new deal could be completed soon.
The 32-year-old blueliner, who has been with the Bruins since 2010, will see his four-year, $13 million deal expire at season’s end. Seidenberg has been an important cog for Boston over the last few seasons, including the Stanley Cup-winning campaign of 2010-11 in which he tied a career-high with 32 points while averaging over 23 minutes a night.
Seidenberg was also a workhorse in last year’s playoffs, averaging 25:59 per game — second only to Zdeno Chara.
It’ll be interesting to see what Seidenberg will command money-wise with his new deal. His current $3.25 million cap hit is one of the league’s better bargains — considering how much and how big a role he plays — and he would likely be one of the more sought-after UFA defensemen should he go to market this summer.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)