Oct 2, 2013, 1:36 PM EST
According to Peter Chiarelli, getting Dennis Seidenberg signed to a new deal is pretty important.
Chiarelli said an extension for Seidenberg is a ‘pretty high’ priority for the Bruins, according to ESPN Boston — and, what’s more, Seidenberg feels a new deal could be completed soon.
The 32-year-old blueliner, who has been with the Bruins since 2010, will see his four-year, $13 million deal expire at season’s end. Seidenberg has been an important cog for Boston over the last few seasons, including the Stanley Cup-winning campaign of 2010-11 in which he tied a career-high with 32 points while averaging over 23 minutes a night.
Seidenberg was also a workhorse in last year’s playoffs, averaging 25:59 per game — second only to Zdeno Chara.
It’ll be interesting to see what Seidenberg will command money-wise with his new deal. His current $3.25 million cap hit is one of the league’s better bargains — considering how much and how big a role he plays — and he would likely be one of the more sought-after UFA defensemen should he go to market this summer.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 0
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 63
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 7
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 133
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (133)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (114)