Oct 2, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Two weeks ago, the New Jersey Devils turned some heads by saying Martin Brodeur would start their season opener in Pittsburgh.
Today, that decision changed.
Brodeur will instead start the Devils’ home-opener on Friday against the Islanders.
The reasoning behind the decision is to give Brodeur an extra day of preparation before making his regular season debut.
The 41-year-old has been away from the team since his father passed away on Sept. 26, and Schneider has played in each of New Jersey’s final two games of the exhibition season.
Yesterday, Brodeur said he was mentally ready to go for the season opener but wasn’t sure he’d be ready physically.
“It was a tough three or four days I spent up in Canada there. But, I think hockey always helps to forget things,” he told the Bergen Record. “You just do your thing. When that puck comes in 100 miles an hour, you’ve got to start thinking about the puck. But, physically, we’ll see.
“[Monday's] practice was kind of a little hard on me, not doing anything for four days and having the full squad.”
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)