Oct 2, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have placed defenseman Kevan Miller on waivers for purpose of assignment to AHL Providence.
The move comes after Miller was included on the Bruins’ opening-day roster, and also after the 25-year-old had been drawing praise from head coach Claude Julien.
“I think he’s improved immensely over the years in Providence, and he’s become a very steady, dependable defenseman,” Julien, per CSN New England. “Everybody knows he’s not the flashy type, but he is very dependable. He’s big. He’s strong. He defends well, he moves the puck well and he’s got a good shot.
“So he’s got a lot of qualities, and he’s certainly a guy that had a great camp while earning a spot with us.”
So we assume this is partly to do with numbers. Perhaps the club felt it was worth risking that another team claims Miller in order for him to keep playing in Providence, as opposed to sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch in Boston.
Kevan Miller had good camp. Could be claimed. Future 5-6 NHL D.—
Fluto Shinzawa (@GlobeFluto) October 02, 2013
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 14
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 50
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 36
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)