Oct 2, 2013, 11:57 AM EDT
The Boston Bruins have placed defenseman Kevan Miller on waivers for purpose of assignment to AHL Providence.
The move comes after Miller was included on the Bruins’ opening-day roster, and also after the 25-year-old had been drawing praise from head coach Claude Julien.
“I think he’s improved immensely over the years in Providence, and he’s become a very steady, dependable defenseman,” Julien, per CSN New England. “Everybody knows he’s not the flashy type, but he is very dependable. He’s big. He’s strong. He defends well, he moves the puck well and he’s got a good shot.
“So he’s got a lot of qualities, and he’s certainly a guy that had a great camp while earning a spot with us.”
So we assume this is partly to do with numbers. Perhaps the club felt it was worth risking that another team claims Miller in order for him to keep playing in Providence, as opposed to sitting in the press box as a healthy scratch in Boston.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (77)