Oct 2, 2013, 1:08 PM EDT
Sven Baertschi got the message, loud and clear. The Flames’ young prospect knows he’s got some work to do.
Said message, of course, was delivered by Calgary’s new head of hockey operations, Brian Burke. When asked Monday what he thought of Baertschi’s play, there was no holding back from the quotable hockey exec.
“All I’ve seen so far is flashes of brilliance,” said Burke, per the Globe and Mail. “Flashes of brilliance are fine if you’re working in the university, but they’re not much good to people in an NHL building.
“There are three zones in the ice surfaces in this league. I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them. He’s got to learn there’s a clock in this league and there’s so many minutes in the game and that you’ve got to compete through all of it. I see this is a guy who’s focusing on one area [scoring] and even then, sporadically.”
Per Sportsnet’s Roger Millions, Baertschi said Burke’s comments were “good for me. When a guy like that says things, you had better listen.”
Baertschi, 20, is expected to open the season on Calgary’s third line, with fellow prospect Sean Monahan, 18, in the middle and veteran David Jones, 29, on the other wing. The Flames play their first game Thursday in Washington.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)