Oct 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EST
Ilya Kovalchuk’s post-NHL career has taken an unfortunate turn.
In just his ninth game with KHL St. Petersburg, Kovalchuk was carrying the puck into the attacking zone when his teammate, Alexei Ponikarovsky, drove into him. The accidental open-ice hit injured Kovalchuk’s shoulder and will cause him to miss about four weeks, according to Andrey Osadchenko and Sovetsky Sport’s Natalia Phila.
You can view the collision below:
Ponikarovsky, like Kovalchuk, was a member of the New Jersey Devils last season. Of course, Kovalchuk’s departure got far more attention given his status as an elite player and the fact that he “retired” to get out of the final 12 seasons of his 15-year, $110 million contract. Although he consequently walked away from $77 million, it’s worth noting that the move might have actually been to his financial benefit.
Kovalchuk has seven goals and 10 points this season and he should be a key player on Team Russia in the upcoming Winter Olympics.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 17
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (63)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)