Oct 1, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
Ilya Kovalchuk’s post-NHL career has taken an unfortunate turn.
In just his ninth game with KHL St. Petersburg, Kovalchuk was carrying the puck into the attacking zone when his teammate, Alexei Ponikarovsky, drove into him. The accidental open-ice hit injured Kovalchuk’s shoulder and will cause him to miss about four weeks, according to Andrey Osadchenko and Sovetsky Sport’s Natalia Phila.
You can view the collision below:
Ponikarovsky, like Kovalchuk, was a member of the New Jersey Devils last season. Of course, Kovalchuk’s departure got far more attention given his status as an elite player and the fact that he “retired” to get out of the final 12 seasons of his 15-year, $110 million contract. Although he consequently walked away from $77 million, it’s worth noting that the move might have actually been to his financial benefit.
Kovalchuk has seven goals and 10 points this season and he should be a key player on Team Russia in the upcoming Winter Olympics.
- Report: Wild’s Harding likely out months, not weeks 0
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 9
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 38
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 17
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 7
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 59
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (59)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)