Oct 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The club will also name its alternate captains at the event. Currently, three players serve as alternates — Eric Brewer, Martin St. Louis and Steve Stamkos — and it’s believed the latter two are the leading candidates to wear the “C”.
What’s curious is that both Stamkos and St. Louis are saying (publicly, anyway) the other is the more deserving candidate.
“He’s a leader in all regards. Whether it’s leading by example or in the room being vocal, he does it all,’’ Stamkos said of St. Louis. “Some guys are just one or the other, but he does both.”
“I think Steven, the kind of player that he is, the way he plays the game, he plays pretty hard,’’ St. Louis said of Stamkos. “And Steven is a guy that can be vocal. He is developing into a pretty good leader, so on top of that he plays the game at a high level.”
Tampa Bay has had nine different captains (though only eight players wore the “C” — Lecavalier had two terms) and this will mark the first time since 2008 someone other than Lecavalier will wear it.
Other ex-Lightning captains include Paul Ysebaert, Mikael Renberg, Rob Zamuner, Bill Houlder, Chris Gratton, Dave Andreychuk and Tim Taylor.
- Video: Patrick Kane scores a beauty against Buffalo 0
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 24
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)