Oct 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The club will also name its alternate captains at the event. Currently, three players serve as alternates — Eric Brewer, Martin St. Louis and Steve Stamkos — and it’s believed the latter two are the leading candidates to wear the “C”.
What’s curious is that both Stamkos and St. Louis are saying (publicly, anyway) the other is the more deserving candidate.
“He’s a leader in all regards. Whether it’s leading by example or in the room being vocal, he does it all,’’ Stamkos said of St. Louis. “Some guys are just one or the other, but he does both.”
“I think Steven, the kind of player that he is, the way he plays the game, he plays pretty hard,’’ St. Louis said of Stamkos. “And Steven is a guy that can be vocal. He is developing into a pretty good leader, so on top of that he plays the game at a high level.”
Tampa Bay has had nine different captains (though only eight players wore the “C” — Lecavalier had two terms) and this will mark the first time since 2008 someone other than Lecavalier will wear it.
Other ex-Lightning captains include Paul Ysebaert, Mikael Renberg, Rob Zamuner, Bill Houlder, Chris Gratton, Dave Andreychuk and Tim Taylor.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 19
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 61
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (61)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)