Oct 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EDT
The club will also name its alternate captains at the event. Currently, three players serve as alternates — Eric Brewer, Martin St. Louis and Steve Stamkos — and it’s believed the latter two are the leading candidates to wear the “C”.
What’s curious is that both Stamkos and St. Louis are saying (publicly, anyway) the other is the more deserving candidate.
“He’s a leader in all regards. Whether it’s leading by example or in the room being vocal, he does it all,’’ Stamkos said of St. Louis. “Some guys are just one or the other, but he does both.”
“I think Steven, the kind of player that he is, the way he plays the game, he plays pretty hard,’’ St. Louis said of Stamkos. “And Steven is a guy that can be vocal. He is developing into a pretty good leader, so on top of that he plays the game at a high level.”
Tampa Bay has had nine different captains (though only eight players wore the “C” — Lecavalier had two terms) and this will mark the first time since 2008 someone other than Lecavalier will wear it.
Other ex-Lightning captains include Paul Ysebaert, Mikael Renberg, Rob Zamuner, Bill Houlder, Chris Gratton, Dave Andreychuk and Tim Taylor.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)