Oct 1, 2013, 11:21 AM EST
The club will also name its alternate captains at the event. Currently, three players serve as alternates — Eric Brewer, Martin St. Louis and Steve Stamkos — and it’s believed the latter two are the leading candidates to wear the “C”.
What’s curious is that both Stamkos and St. Louis are saying (publicly, anyway) the other is the more deserving candidate.
“He’s a leader in all regards. Whether it’s leading by example or in the room being vocal, he does it all,’’ Stamkos said of St. Louis. “Some guys are just one or the other, but he does both.”
“I think Steven, the kind of player that he is, the way he plays the game, he plays pretty hard,’’ St. Louis said of Stamkos. “And Steven is a guy that can be vocal. He is developing into a pretty good leader, so on top of that he plays the game at a high level.”
Tampa Bay has had nine different captains (though only eight players wore the “C” — Lecavalier had two terms) and this will mark the first time since 2008 someone other than Lecavalier will wear it.
Other ex-Lightning captains include Paul Ysebaert, Mikael Renberg, Rob Zamuner, Bill Houlder, Chris Gratton, Dave Andreychuk and Tim Taylor.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 0
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 39
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (39)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)