Oct 1, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is already on record opposing the implementation of hybrid icing.
Now, he’s taking issue with how it was implemented.
On Tuesday, Sutter said it was “strange” the NHL and NHLPA ruled on hybrid icing the day before the start of the regular season, and questioned how many players actually had their say in the vote.
Here’s the quote, from LA Kings Insider:
“Ask the players, because, quite honest, it’s the only rule in the history of the game that the players actually decided on the night before the season started, which seems a little odd.
“And plus, go ask the players how many of them actually had a vote or say in it. If you say ‘players,’ does that mean 700 players, or does that mean 20 players? Go ask. I don’t know. It seems a little strange. Not ‘seems.’ ‘Is.’
“I mean, hopefully they can’t make a rule up next week, too. What’s good about it?”
Sutter isn’t alone in his reaction, as many figured it would be shot down.
New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer said “surprised would be an understatement” in describing his response to learning the news, and Devils captain Bryce Salvador said “most players I talked to were against it.”
Elsewhere, Pittsburgh’s Tanner Glass said hybrid icing is “terrible,” adding “I hope the vote kills it for good.”
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 8
- Your Lightning-Rangers Game 7 officials are… 1
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 39
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 45
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 8
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)