Oct 1, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is already on record opposing the implementation of hybrid icing.
Now, he’s taking issue with how it was implemented.
On Tuesday, Sutter said it was “strange” the NHL and NHLPA ruled on hybrid icing the day before the start of the regular season, and questioned how many players actually had their say in the vote.
Here’s the quote, from LA Kings Insider:
“Ask the players, because, quite honest, it’s the only rule in the history of the game that the players actually decided on the night before the season started, which seems a little odd.
“And plus, go ask the players how many of them actually had a vote or say in it. If you say ‘players,’ does that mean 700 players, or does that mean 20 players? Go ask. I don’t know. It seems a little strange. Not ‘seems.’ ‘Is.’
“I mean, hopefully they can’t make a rule up next week, too. What’s good about it?”
Sutter isn’t alone in his reaction, as many figured it would be shot down.
New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer said “surprised would be an understatement” in describing his response to learning the news, and Devils captain Bryce Salvador said “most players I talked to were against it.”
Elsewhere, Pittsburgh’s Tanner Glass said hybrid icing is “terrible,” adding “I hope the vote kills it for good.”
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)