Oct 1, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
Kings head coach Darryl Sutter is already on record opposing the implementation of hybrid icing.
Now, he’s taking issue with how it was implemented.
On Tuesday, Sutter said it was “strange” the NHL and NHLPA ruled on hybrid icing the day before the start of the regular season, and questioned how many players actually had their say in the vote.
Here’s the quote, from LA Kings Insider:
“Ask the players, because, quite honest, it’s the only rule in the history of the game that the players actually decided on the night before the season started, which seems a little odd.
“And plus, go ask the players how many of them actually had a vote or say in it. If you say ‘players,’ does that mean 700 players, or does that mean 20 players? Go ask. I don’t know. It seems a little strange. Not ‘seems.’ ‘Is.’
“I mean, hopefully they can’t make a rule up next week, too. What’s good about it?”
Sutter isn’t alone in his reaction, as many figured it would be shot down.
New Jersey head coach Peter DeBoer said “surprised would be an understatement” in describing his response to learning the news, and Devils captain Bryce Salvador said “most players I talked to were against it.”
Elsewhere, Pittsburgh’s Tanner Glass said hybrid icing is “terrible,” adding “I hope the vote kills it for good.”
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)