Oct 1, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
With the NHL’s regular season set to kick off in a matter of hours, the Sedin twins still don’t have contract extensions in place with the Canucks.
When asked for an update today in Vancouver, Henrik Sedin had no news on negotiations, which reportedly started a few weeks ago. He and his brother, Daniel, can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
Vancouver doesn’t play its first game until Thursday in San Jose, so there’s still time to get something done before then. And even if that doesn’t happen, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji, neither side has a problem continuing talks during the season.
The Sedins want to stay in Vancouver, and the Canucks want them back. That’s not the issue. For how much money, and for how many years, are the major unknowns at this point.
There may be other issues, too. Just spitballin’ here: what happens if the Canucks fall way out of contention for the Stanley Cup? Will the twins have full no-trade clauses, or will the club have the freedom to turn them into assets for the future?
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” Henrik, 33, said recently. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things.”
For apprehensive Canucks fans who may have thought getting the twins re-signed would be a slam dunk, it’s worth noting that their last negotiations with the club went right down to the wire.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 35
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)