Oct 1, 2013, 4:42 PM EST
With the NHL’s regular season set to kick off in a matter of hours, the Sedin twins still don’t have contract extensions in place with the Canucks.
When asked for an update today in Vancouver, Henrik Sedin had no news on negotiations, which reportedly started a few weeks ago. He and his brother, Daniel, can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
Vancouver doesn’t play its first game until Thursday in San Jose, so there’s still time to get something done before then. And even if that doesn’t happen, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji, neither side has a problem continuing talks during the season.
The Sedins want to stay in Vancouver, and the Canucks want them back. That’s not the issue. For how much money, and for how many years, are the major unknowns at this point.
There may be other issues, too. Just spitballin’ here: what happens if the Canucks fall way out of contention for the Stanley Cup? Will the twins have full no-trade clauses, or will the club have the freedom to turn them into assets for the future?
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” Henrik, 33, said recently. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things.”
For apprehensive Canucks fans who may have thought getting the twins re-signed would be a slam dunk, it’s worth noting that their last negotiations with the club went right down to the wire.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)