Oct 1, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
With the NHL’s regular season set to kick off in a matter of hours, the Sedin twins still don’t have contract extensions in place with the Canucks.
When asked for an update today in Vancouver, Henrik Sedin had no news on negotiations, which reportedly started a few weeks ago. He and his brother, Daniel, can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
Vancouver doesn’t play its first game until Thursday in San Jose, so there’s still time to get something done before then. And even if that doesn’t happen, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji, neither side has a problem continuing talks during the season.
The Sedins want to stay in Vancouver, and the Canucks want them back. That’s not the issue. For how much money, and for how many years, are the major unknowns at this point.
There may be other issues, too. Just spitballin’ here: what happens if the Canucks fall way out of contention for the Stanley Cup? Will the twins have full no-trade clauses, or will the club have the freedom to turn them into assets for the future?
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” Henrik, 33, said recently. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things.”
For apprehensive Canucks fans who may have thought getting the twins re-signed would be a slam dunk, it’s worth noting that their last negotiations with the club went right down to the wire.
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 21
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)