Oct 1, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
With the NHL’s regular season set to kick off in a matter of hours, the Sedin twins still don’t have contract extensions in place with the Canucks.
When asked for an update today in Vancouver, Henrik Sedin had no news on negotiations, which reportedly started a few weeks ago. He and his brother, Daniel, can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
Vancouver doesn’t play its first game until Thursday in San Jose, so there’s still time to get something done before then. And even if that doesn’t happen, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji, neither side has a problem continuing talks during the season.
The Sedins want to stay in Vancouver, and the Canucks want them back. That’s not the issue. For how much money, and for how many years, are the major unknowns at this point.
There may be other issues, too. Just spitballin’ here: what happens if the Canucks fall way out of contention for the Stanley Cup? Will the twins have full no-trade clauses, or will the club have the freedom to turn them into assets for the future?
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” Henrik, 33, said recently. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things.”
For apprehensive Canucks fans who may have thought getting the twins re-signed would be a slam dunk, it’s worth noting that their last negotiations with the club went right down to the wire.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)