Oct 1, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
With the NHL’s regular season set to kick off in a matter of hours, the Sedin twins still don’t have contract extensions in place with the Canucks.
When asked for an update today in Vancouver, Henrik Sedin had no news on negotiations, which reportedly started a few weeks ago. He and his brother, Daniel, can become unrestricted free agents next summer.
Vancouver doesn’t play its first game until Thursday in San Jose, so there’s still time to get something done before then. And even if that doesn’t happen, according to TSN’s Farhan Lalji, neither side has a problem continuing talks during the season.
The Sedins want to stay in Vancouver, and the Canucks want them back. That’s not the issue. For how much money, and for how many years, are the major unknowns at this point.
There may be other issues, too. Just spitballin’ here: what happens if the Canucks fall way out of contention for the Stanley Cup? Will the twins have full no-trade clauses, or will the club have the freedom to turn them into assets for the future?
“There’s a lot of things that need to be discussed,” Henrik, 33, said recently. “It’s money, it’s terms, it’s years, it’s a lot of different things.”
For apprehensive Canucks fans who may have thought getting the twins re-signed would be a slam dunk, it’s worth noting that their last negotiations with the club went right down to the wire.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)