Oct 1, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Swedish head coach Par Marts said Soderberg has been “disqualified” after bailing on the national team in April, prior to the 2013 World Hockey Championships (which were being held in Sweden). Soderberg left to play with Boston in the late stages of the regular season and Stanley Cup playoffs, signing a three-year deal.
Soderberg, 27, faced issues upon trying to join the Bruins. His transfer was temporarily blocked by the Swedish Ice Hockey Association — based on his selection for the Worlds — but was eventually green-lit, allowing Soderberg to appear in six regular season and two playoff games for the B’s.
A 6-foot-3, 200-pound skill forward, Soderberg has been a curious figure in the world of international hockey. Originally drafted by St. Louis in 2004, he’s spent the last eight seasons in Sweden and lead the league in goals last year. His breakout campaign coincided with Boston’s increased interest in bringing him to North America.
In speaking with Expressen, Marts said the decision to exclude Soderberg was his own — not the SIHA’s — and noted that Soderberg was not named to the 35-man orientation camp announced in late July.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)