Oct 1, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Swedish head coach Par Marts said Soderberg has been “disqualified” after bailing on the national team in April, prior to the 2013 World Hockey Championships (which were being held in Sweden). Soderberg left to play with Boston in the late stages of the regular season and Stanley Cup playoffs, signing a three-year deal.
Soderberg, 27, faced issues upon trying to join the Bruins. His transfer was temporarily blocked by the Swedish Ice Hockey Association — based on his selection for the Worlds — but was eventually green-lit, allowing Soderberg to appear in six regular season and two playoff games for the B’s.
A 6-foot-3, 200-pound skill forward, Soderberg has been a curious figure in the world of international hockey. Originally drafted by St. Louis in 2004, he’s spent the last eight seasons in Sweden and lead the league in goals last year. His breakout campaign coincided with Boston’s increased interest in bringing him to North America.
In speaking with Expressen, Marts said the decision to exclude Soderberg was his own — not the SIHA’s — and noted that Soderberg was not named to the 35-man orientation camp announced in late July.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)