Oct 1, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Last night it came out that the negotiations between the Toronto Maple Leafs and star forward Phil Kessel had intensified. Now the contract talks are almost finalized, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie.
UPDATE (11:48 a.m. ET)
It’s finalized. The Leafs have announced Kessel’s signed an eight-year deal, with various outlets confirming the $64 million price tag. The Globe and Mail reports it has a no-movement and limited no-trade clause.
At that cap hit, Toronto would have about $42 million committed to 11 players in 2014-15 based on Cap Geek’s numbers. That doesn’t factor in the restricted free agents they will have to deal with over the offseason, including Cody Franson and goaltender James Reimer.
Signing Kessel now spares the Maple Leafs and Kessel a season of intense trade speculation, but it also obviously means securing a vital member of the team. Kessel has emerged as a point-per-game player over his tenure in Toronto and has managed to stay relatively healthy.
The Wisconsin-native reached the 30-goal mark for four straight seasons before the shortened campaign. In 2013, he tied for seventh in the NHL with 52 points.
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 33
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 10
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)