Oct 1, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Last night it came out that the negotiations between the Toronto Maple Leafs and star forward Phil Kessel had intensified. Now the contract talks are almost finalized, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie.
UPDATE (11:48 a.m. ET)
It’s finalized. The Leafs have announced Kessel’s signed an eight-year deal, with various outlets confirming the $64 million price tag. The Globe and Mail reports it has a no-movement and limited no-trade clause.
At that cap hit, Toronto would have about $42 million committed to 11 players in 2014-15 based on Cap Geek’s numbers. That doesn’t factor in the restricted free agents they will have to deal with over the offseason, including Cody Franson and goaltender James Reimer.
Signing Kessel now spares the Maple Leafs and Kessel a season of intense trade speculation, but it also obviously means securing a vital member of the team. Kessel has emerged as a point-per-game player over his tenure in Toronto and has managed to stay relatively healthy.
The Wisconsin-native reached the 30-goal mark for four straight seasons before the shortened campaign. In 2013, he tied for seventh in the NHL with 52 points.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)