Oct 1, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Last night it came out that the negotiations between the Toronto Maple Leafs and star forward Phil Kessel had intensified. Now the contract talks are almost finalized, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and Bob McKenzie.
UPDATE (11:48 a.m. ET)
It’s finalized. The Leafs have announced Kessel’s signed an eight-year deal, with various outlets confirming the $64 million price tag. The Globe and Mail reports it has a no-movement and limited no-trade clause.
At that cap hit, Toronto would have about $42 million committed to 11 players in 2014-15 based on Cap Geek’s numbers. That doesn’t factor in the restricted free agents they will have to deal with over the offseason, including Cody Franson and goaltender James Reimer.
Signing Kessel now spares the Maple Leafs and Kessel a season of intense trade speculation, but it also obviously means securing a vital member of the team. Kessel has emerged as a point-per-game player over his tenure in Toronto and has managed to stay relatively healthy.
The Wisconsin-native reached the 30-goal mark for four straight seasons before the shortened campaign. In 2013, he tied for seventh in the NHL with 52 points.
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 17
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 61
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 8
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 23
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 31
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 60
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 34
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 21
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 94
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 104
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)