Oct 1, 2013, 9:08 PM EST
Here’s a photo of the 38-year-old wearing the “C,” via the team:
St. Louis discussed how he’ll handle the role.
“It’s not all my responsibility,” St. Louis said. “That’s what I’m looking for as a captain, seeing everybody want to lead.”
It almost feels like the appropriate question regarding this nomination isn’t the usual “Why him?” Instead, “What took so long?” seems more fitting.
After starting his career with the Calgary Flames, St. Louis has been a fixture in Tampa Bay since the 2000-01 season. He’s played 910 of his 979 career regular season games with the Lightning, and it’s hard to imagine him failing to reach the 1,000-game mark sometime in 2014-15.
He’s been a consistent producer on a franchise that’s seen some extreme ups and downs over the year, and chances are strong that he’ll keep that up for a while.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 36
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (42)