Oct 1, 2013, 9:08 PM EST
Here’s a photo of the 38-year-old wearing the “C,” via the team:
St. Louis discussed how he’ll handle the role.
“It’s not all my responsibility,” St. Louis said. “That’s what I’m looking for as a captain, seeing everybody want to lead.”
It almost feels like the appropriate question regarding this nomination isn’t the usual “Why him?” Instead, “What took so long?” seems more fitting.
After starting his career with the Calgary Flames, St. Louis has been a fixture in Tampa Bay since the 2000-01 season. He’s played 910 of his 979 career regular season games with the Lightning, and it’s hard to imagine him failing to reach the 1,000-game mark sometime in 2014-15.
He’s been a consistent producer on a franchise that’s seen some extreme ups and downs over the year, and chances are strong that he’ll keep that up for a while.
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)