Oct 1, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Here’s a photo of the 38-year-old wearing the “C,” via the team:
St. Louis discussed how he’ll handle the role.
“It’s not all my responsibility,” St. Louis said. “That’s what I’m looking for as a captain, seeing everybody want to lead.”
It almost feels like the appropriate question regarding this nomination isn’t the usual “Why him?” Instead, “What took so long?” seems more fitting.
After starting his career with the Calgary Flames, St. Louis has been a fixture in Tampa Bay since the 2000-01 season. He’s played 910 of his 979 career regular season games with the Lightning, and it’s hard to imagine him failing to reach the 1,000-game mark sometime in 2014-15.
He’s been a consistent producer on a franchise that’s seen some extreme ups and downs over the year, and chances are strong that he’ll keep that up for a while.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (42)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)