Oct 1, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Here’s a photo of the 38-year-old wearing the “C,” via the team:
St. Louis discussed how he’ll handle the role.
“It’s not all my responsibility,” St. Louis said. “That’s what I’m looking for as a captain, seeing everybody want to lead.”
It almost feels like the appropriate question regarding this nomination isn’t the usual “Why him?” Instead, “What took so long?” seems more fitting.
After starting his career with the Calgary Flames, St. Louis has been a fixture in Tampa Bay since the 2000-01 season. He’s played 910 of his 979 career regular season games with the Lightning, and it’s hard to imagine him failing to reach the 1,000-game mark sometime in 2014-15.
He’s been a consistent producer on a franchise that’s seen some extreme ups and downs over the year, and chances are strong that he’ll keep that up for a while.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)