Oct 1, 2013, 9:08 PM EDT
Here’s a photo of the 38-year-old wearing the “C,” via the team:
St. Louis discussed how he’ll handle the role.
“It’s not all my responsibility,” St. Louis said. “That’s what I’m looking for as a captain, seeing everybody want to lead.”
It almost feels like the appropriate question regarding this nomination isn’t the usual “Why him?” Instead, “What took so long?” seems more fitting.
After starting his career with the Calgary Flames, St. Louis has been a fixture in Tampa Bay since the 2000-01 season. He’s played 910 of his 979 career regular season games with the Lightning, and it’s hard to imagine him failing to reach the 1,000-game mark sometime in 2014-15.
He’s been a consistent producer on a franchise that’s seen some extreme ups and downs over the year, and chances are strong that he’ll keep that up for a while.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5