Oct 1, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
One guy that’s not a fan of Buffalo’s decision to name Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott co-captains?
The last player to wear the “C” for the Sabres, Jason Pominville.
Pominville, Buffalo’s captain for parts of four seasons before getting dealt to the Wild, told the Minnesota Star-Tribune he thinks the Sabres’ new setup — Vanek serving as captain at home, Ott on the road — is strange.
“I think it’s weird,” he explained. “They’ve done [the rotating thing] in the past. I don’t know if it’s their way of doing it. It just feels a little weird to have a couple guys.
It should be noted this isn’t the first time Buffalo has gone to a dual captaincy. The Sabres utilized both Chris Drury and Daniel Briere as co-captains during the 2006-07 campaign — capturing the Presidents’ Trophy — and that’s a year Pominville should remember well, considering he finished with a career-high 34 goals.
Despite this, Pominville still thinks the decision is odd.
“Usually you want that one guy,” he said.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)