Oct 1, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
One guy that’s not a fan of Buffalo’s decision to name Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott co-captains?
The last player to wear the “C” for the Sabres, Jason Pominville.
Pominville, Buffalo’s captain for parts of four seasons before getting dealt to the Wild, told the Minnesota Star-Tribune he thinks the Sabres’ new setup — Vanek serving as captain at home, Ott on the road — is strange.
“I think it’s weird,” he explained. “They’ve done [the rotating thing] in the past. I don’t know if it’s their way of doing it. It just feels a little weird to have a couple guys.
It should be noted this isn’t the first time Buffalo has gone to a dual captaincy. The Sabres utilized both Chris Drury and Daniel Briere as co-captains during the 2006-07 campaign — capturing the Presidents’ Trophy — and that’s a year Pominville should remember well, considering he finished with a career-high 34 goals.
Despite this, Pominville still thinks the decision is odd.
“Usually you want that one guy,” he said.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 35
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 14
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 94
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)