Oct 1, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
One guy that’s not a fan of Buffalo’s decision to name Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott co-captains?
The last player to wear the “C” for the Sabres, Jason Pominville.
Pominville, Buffalo’s captain for parts of four seasons before getting dealt to the Wild, told the Minnesota Star-Tribune he thinks the Sabres’ new setup — Vanek serving as captain at home, Ott on the road — is strange.
“I think it’s weird,” he explained. “They’ve done [the rotating thing] in the past. I don’t know if it’s their way of doing it. It just feels a little weird to have a couple guys.
It should be noted this isn’t the first time Buffalo has gone to a dual captaincy. The Sabres utilized both Chris Drury and Daniel Briere as co-captains during the 2006-07 campaign — capturing the Presidents’ Trophy — and that’s a year Pominville should remember well, considering he finished with a career-high 34 goals.
Despite this, Pominville still thinks the decision is odd.
“Usually you want that one guy,” he said.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 35
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 24
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)