Oct 1, 2013, 3:02 PM EST
One guy that’s not a fan of Buffalo’s decision to name Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott co-captains?
The last player to wear the “C” for the Sabres, Jason Pominville.
Pominville, Buffalo’s captain for parts of four seasons before getting dealt to the Wild, told the Minnesota Star-Tribune he thinks the Sabres’ new setup — Vanek serving as captain at home, Ott on the road — is strange.
“I think it’s weird,” he explained. “They’ve done [the rotating thing] in the past. I don’t know if it’s their way of doing it. It just feels a little weird to have a couple guys.
It should be noted this isn’t the first time Buffalo has gone to a dual captaincy. The Sabres utilized both Chris Drury and Daniel Briere as co-captains during the 2006-07 campaign — capturing the Presidents’ Trophy — and that’s a year Pominville should remember well, considering he finished with a career-high 34 goals.
Despite this, Pominville still thinks the decision is odd.
“Usually you want that one guy,” he said.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)