Oct 1, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
One guy that’s not a fan of Buffalo’s decision to name Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott co-captains?
The last player to wear the “C” for the Sabres, Jason Pominville.
Pominville, Buffalo’s captain for parts of four seasons before getting dealt to the Wild, told the Minnesota Star-Tribune he thinks the Sabres’ new setup — Vanek serving as captain at home, Ott on the road — is strange.
“I think it’s weird,” he explained. “They’ve done [the rotating thing] in the past. I don’t know if it’s their way of doing it. It just feels a little weird to have a couple guys.
It should be noted this isn’t the first time Buffalo has gone to a dual captaincy. The Sabres utilized both Chris Drury and Daniel Briere as co-captains during the 2006-07 campaign — capturing the Presidents’ Trophy — and that’s a year Pominville should remember well, considering he finished with a career-high 34 goals.
Despite this, Pominville still thinks the decision is odd.
“Usually you want that one guy,” he said.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 12
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 16
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 17
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)