Oct 1, 2013, 11:09 PM EST
The Chicago Blackhawks won their last game of last season and started off 2013-14 with a win, beating the Washington Capitals 6-4 on Tuesday.
Let’s discuss the contest.
- Is this the kind of night that makes you think that the Blackhawks will defend their title convincingly? It wasn’t just their star players; most of the roster looked dangerous, with Brandon Saad collecting three points.
- How do you feel about the two goalies’ work? Sure, goals allowed-wise, they didn’t look great, but that seems unfair to both Braden Holtby and Corey Crawford. Where do you rank them right now?
- He won’t score four points every night, but still; how many GMs feel a little silly about passing on Mikhail Grabovski after his hat trick + assist debut for Washington? You have no idea how happy that makes stats nerds feel.
- Speaking of Caps who looked dangerous Part II: Mike Green sure looked like vintage Mike Green, didn’t he? Could the Caps win their division if their offensive defenseman regains form?
- Caps who looked dangerous Part III: How many goals will Alex Ovechkin score in 2013-14?
- Finally, do you expect to see a lot of wide-open games this year? Tuesday’s first two contests were downright blistering.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 29
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 64
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 37
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (65)