Oct 1, 2013, 11:09 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks won their last game of last season and started off 2013-14 with a win, beating the Washington Capitals 6-4 on Tuesday.
Let’s discuss the contest.
- Is this the kind of night that makes you think that the Blackhawks will defend their title convincingly? It wasn’t just their star players; most of the roster looked dangerous, with Brandon Saad collecting three points.
- How do you feel about the two goalies’ work? Sure, goals allowed-wise, they didn’t look great, but that seems unfair to both Braden Holtby and Corey Crawford. Where do you rank them right now?
- He won’t score four points every night, but still; how many GMs feel a little silly about passing on Mikhail Grabovski after his hat trick + assist debut for Washington? You have no idea how happy that makes stats nerds feel.
- Speaking of Caps who looked dangerous Part II: Mike Green sure looked like vintage Mike Green, didn’t he? Could the Caps win their division if their offensive defenseman regains form?
- Caps who looked dangerous Part III: How many goals will Alex Ovechkin score in 2013-14?
- Finally, do you expect to see a lot of wide-open games this year? Tuesday’s first two contests were downright blistering.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 2
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 22
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)