Oct 1, 2013, 11:09 PM EDT
The Chicago Blackhawks won their last game of last season and started off 2013-14 with a win, beating the Washington Capitals 6-4 on Tuesday.
Let’s discuss the contest.
- Is this the kind of night that makes you think that the Blackhawks will defend their title convincingly? It wasn’t just their star players; most of the roster looked dangerous, with Brandon Saad collecting three points.
- How do you feel about the two goalies’ work? Sure, goals allowed-wise, they didn’t look great, but that seems unfair to both Braden Holtby and Corey Crawford. Where do you rank them right now?
- He won’t score four points every night, but still; how many GMs feel a little silly about passing on Mikhail Grabovski after his hat trick + assist debut for Washington? You have no idea how happy that makes stats nerds feel.
- Speaking of Caps who looked dangerous Part II: Mike Green sure looked like vintage Mike Green, didn’t he? Could the Caps win their division if their offensive defenseman regains form?
- Caps who looked dangerous Part III: How many goals will Alex Ovechkin score in 2013-14?
- Finally, do you expect to see a lot of wide-open games this year? Tuesday’s first two contests were downright blistering.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63