Oct 1, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
The 2013-14 season will introduce hybrid icing into the mix, which is a nice nod toward improving safety, but it might cause some confusion. For instance: the New Jersey Devils are confused it was voted in.
People from head coach Peter DeBoer to Martin Brodeur expressed their disapproval to the Bergen Record on Tuesday.
“I think it’s a rule that is going to cause us some headaches, for goalies anyway,” Brodeur said.
Defenseman Bryce Salvador believes New Jersey voted “unanimously no” on hybrid icing, and said that just about everyone he spoke with were on that wave length.
DeBoer isn’t quite as mad as the rule change’s biggest critics. Instead, he thinks that the NHL should either go with touch icing or no-touch icing rather than something that’s more of a compromise for both sides.
“If you really want to be safe, you might as well call it like college hockey, international hockey,” Brodeur said. “If they’re really worried about it, why risk it?”
Like it or not, the Devils and the NHL’s other 29 teams must adjust to this change.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)