Oct 1, 2013, 9:48 PM EDT
The 2013-14 season will introduce hybrid icing into the mix, which is a nice nod toward improving safety, but it might cause some confusion. For instance: the New Jersey Devils are confused it was voted in.
People from head coach Peter DeBoer to Martin Brodeur expressed their disapproval to the Bergen Record on Tuesday.
“I think it’s a rule that is going to cause us some headaches, for goalies anyway,” Brodeur said.
Defenseman Bryce Salvador believes New Jersey voted “unanimously no” on hybrid icing, and said that just about everyone he spoke with were on that wave length.
DeBoer isn’t quite as mad as the rule change’s biggest critics. Instead, he thinks that the NHL should either go with touch icing or no-touch icing rather than something that’s more of a compromise for both sides.
“If you really want to be safe, you might as well call it like college hockey, international hockey,” Brodeur said. “If they’re really worried about it, why risk it?”
Like it or not, the Devils and the NHL’s other 29 teams must adjust to this change.
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 12
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)