Oct 1, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Pitkanen, 30, will miss the entire 2013-14 campaign with the effects of a broken heel suffered late last season. While a blow to the team’s defensive corps, Carolina will get $4.5 million in salary cap relief by placing Pitkanen on LTIR, giving them nearly $5 million in wiggle room all told.
Corrente, 25, was surprisingly kept on the active roster yesterday while highly touted prospect Ryan Murphy was sent to AHL Charlotte. But now, as speculated on Monday, it appears that decision was simply a roster compliance transaction — Corrente is being placed on waivers for the purpose of reassignment to Charlotte, and Murphy is expected to be back with the ‘Canes soon.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5