Oct 1, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
Pitkanen, 30, will miss the entire 2013-14 campaign with the effects of a broken heel suffered late last season. While a blow to the team’s defensive corps, Carolina will get $4.5 million in salary cap relief by placing Pitkanen on LTIR, giving them nearly $5 million in wiggle room all told.
Corrente, 25, was surprisingly kept on the active roster yesterday while highly touted prospect Ryan Murphy was sent to AHL Charlotte. But now, as speculated on Monday, it appears that decision was simply a roster compliance transaction — Corrente is being placed on waivers for the purpose of reassignment to Charlotte, and Murphy is expected to be back with the ‘Canes soon.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 11
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 4
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 28
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11