Oct 1, 2013, 12:24 PM EST
Tuesday has been an interesting day for NHL captaincies.
Shortly after Buffalo announced Thomas Vanek and Steve Ott would serve as co-captains this season, Edmonton revealed it had named six — yes, six — alternate captains for the upcoming campaign: Jordan Eberle, Sam Gagner, Taylor Hall, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, Nick Schultz and Ryan Smyth.
The news comes just a few days after the Oilers named Andrew Ference the 14th captain in franchise history.
Edmonton’s setting some kind of precedent with this move. At most, NHL teams will have three alternates, or rotate through a group of players.
If we had to guess, this is an attempt by the Oilers to expand its leadership group beyond Ference — who, it should be noted, got the “C” without ever playing a game for the club — yet still honor two of the club’s more veteran players: Smyth, who has played parts of 14 seasons in Edmonton and Schultz, who at 31 is the second-oldest blueliner on the team (behind Ference, who’s 34.)
- Video: Dustin Brown ejected for kneeing, Tomas Hertl won’t return (update) 45
- No supplemental discipline for Caps’ Wilson 29
- Habs healthy scratch Briere for first time this season 6
- Chiarelli says he’s not trading Marchand 21
- Schenn to play tonight; Oates maintains Wilson hit was ‘totally clean’ 54
- Video: ‘The message is not being heard’ when it comes to illegal hits, suspensions 53
- Video: Kunitz collides with Rangers’ goalie Lundqvist in overtime (Updated) 60
- Discuss: Penguins outlast Rangers in the shootout on NBCSN Rivalry Night 43
- Video: Jagr passes Yzerman for eighth on NHL goals list 12
- Wild put Harding on IR to undergo change in MS treatment 17
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (103)
- Cam Neely questions length of Thornton’s suspension (78)