Oct 1, 2013, 11:00 AM EST
Yesterday, Montreal head coach Michel Therrien said he wouldn’t call up an extra defenseman this week.
Today, he changed his mind.
The Canadiens recalled Nathan Beaulieu from AHL Hamilton on Tuesday, giving them an extra/emergency defenseman prior to tonight’s season opening tilt with the Maple Leafs.
Therrien had started his club wasn’t going to call up any blueliners after making his final roster decisions Monday, and was OK going with a six-man unit of Francis Bouillon, Raphael Diaz, Josh Gorges, Andrei Markov, P.K. Subban and Jarred Tinordi. Davis Drewiske, Douglas Murray and Alexei Emelin are all out injured.
Beaulieu, 20, was Montreal’s first-round pick (17th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, and was one of the team’s final cuts from training camp. He was dispatched to the Bulldogs on Monday, along with forward Gabriel Dumont.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 155
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 123
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (155)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (123)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)