Sep 30, 2013, 9:54 AM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning made some tough roster moves by returning Jonathan Drouin to the QMJHL and sending Brett Connolly to the AHL. GM Steve Yzerman opened up about his decisions to the Tampa Bay Times and in both cases, it came down to the Lightning simply wanting them to get more ice time.
That argument is particularly easy to understand with Drouin, even if the decision will still come as a surprise to some. Drouin was taken with the third overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft after recording 105 points in 49 games with the QMJHL Halifax Mooseheads last season.
He was regarded as an early contender for the Calder Trophy, but Yzerman feared he might end up with limited minutes.
Connolly’s situation is a bit different as the 21-year-old already has 73 NHL games under his belt. On top of that, he excelled in the AHL last season with 31 goals and 63 points in 71 games.
Even still, he couldn’t find a spot on any of Tampa Bay’s top three lines, despite Yzerman’s assertion that he “played extremely well throughout camp.”
Yzerman is looking for Connolly to be a leader with AHL Syracuse until the circumstances in Tampa Bay changes for one reason or another and the Lightning suddenly have an appropriate spot available for him.
Meanwhile Tampa Bay’s quest to get back into the playoffs will start on Thursday with a game against the Boston Bruins.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)