Sep 30, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
The American roster for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, will be unveiled during NBC’s Broadcast of the 2014 Winter Classic, USA Hockey announced on Monday.
The Winter Classic, to be held on Jan. 1 between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs at the Big House in Ann Arbor, will provide a tremendous background for what’s expected to be an exciting announcement. The Winter Olympics begin just five weeks after the Winter Classic, and Team USA is expected to bring three goals, eight defensemen and 14 forwards to Russia.
Today, U.S. GM David Poile met with media members and said that “approximately half” of the 2014 squad will be comprised of players that captured silver at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
In August, USA Hockey held an Olympic evaluation camp consisting of 48 invitees, 16 of whom represented America in Vancouver three years ago. They include: Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild), Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings), Erik Johnson (Colorado Avalanche), Jack Johnson (Columbus Blue Jackets), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins) and Ryan Suter (Wild), David Backes (St. Louis Blues), Dustin Brown (Kings), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers), Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks), Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs), Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks), Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators) and Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche).
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)