Sep 30, 2013, 5:06 PM EST
The American roster for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, will be unveiled during NBC’s Broadcast of the 2014 Winter Classic, USA Hockey announced on Monday.
The Winter Classic, to be held on Jan. 1 between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs at the Big House in Ann Arbor, will provide a tremendous background for what’s expected to be an exciting announcement. The Winter Olympics begin just five weeks after the Winter Classic, and Team USA is expected to bring three goals, eight defensemen and 14 forwards to Russia.
Today, U.S. GM David Poile met with media members and said that “approximately half” of the 2014 squad will be comprised of players that captured silver at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
In August, USA Hockey held an Olympic evaluation camp consisting of 48 invitees, 16 of whom represented America in Vancouver three years ago. They include: Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild), Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings), Erik Johnson (Colorado Avalanche), Jack Johnson (Columbus Blue Jackets), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins) and Ryan Suter (Wild), David Backes (St. Louis Blues), Dustin Brown (Kings), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers), Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks), Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs), Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks), Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators) and Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche).
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 9
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 26
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 30
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)