Sep 30, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
The American roster for the Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia, will be unveiled during NBC’s Broadcast of the 2014 Winter Classic, USA Hockey announced on Monday.
The Winter Classic, to be held on Jan. 1 between the Red Wings and Maple Leafs at the Big House in Ann Arbor, will provide a tremendous background for what’s expected to be an exciting announcement. The Winter Olympics begin just five weeks after the Winter Classic, and Team USA is expected to bring three goals, eight defensemen and 14 forwards to Russia.
Today, U.S. GM David Poile met with media members and said that “approximately half” of the 2014 squad will be comprised of players that captured silver at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
In August, USA Hockey held an Olympic evaluation camp consisting of 48 invitees, 16 of whom represented America in Vancouver three years ago. They include: Zach Parise (Minnesota Wild), Ryan Miller (Buffalo Sabres), Jonathan Quick (Los Angeles Kings), Erik Johnson (Colorado Avalanche), Jack Johnson (Columbus Blue Jackets), Brooks Orpik (Pittsburgh Penguins) and Ryan Suter (Wild), David Backes (St. Louis Blues), Dustin Brown (Kings), Ryan Callahan (New York Rangers), Patrick Kane (Chicago Blackhawks), Ryan Kesler (Vancouver Canucks), Phil Kessel (Toronto Maple Leafs), Joe Pavelski (San Jose Sharks), Bobby Ryan (Ottawa Senators) and Paul Stastny (Colorado Avalanche).
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 1
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 11
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 9
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 40
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 48
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 84
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 37
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 57
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)