Sep 30, 2013, 9:49 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks might be a little old and creaky at the top of their lineup (aside from a Logan Couture and a Brent Burns there), but the depths of their roster could be awfully green. At least to start the season.
Hertl is 19, Nieto is 20 and Hamilton is 21. Hertl might be the one to watch closest, as he was selected 17th overall in the 2012 NHL Draft. To some extent, injuries opened the door for this trio, but perhaps one or more can stick after being given a shot.
Stalock, 26, isn’t a spring chicken in net. Still, he only has three games at the NHL level on his resume, so he’s only experienced at lower levels.
The 2005 fourth-round pick expressed gratitude regarding the team’s patience in developing him.
“It’s been quite a four or five years,” Stalock said. “It’s amazing the way the organization stuck with me, and now giving me a chance to get back to where I was at a few years ago is pretty special, and I’m looking forward to it.”
San Jose’s counting on him, even if Antti Niemi carries a hefty workload for another season.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 43
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (44)