Sep 30, 2013, 9:49 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks might be a little old and creaky at the top of their lineup (aside from a Logan Couture and a Brent Burns there), but the depths of their roster could be awfully green. At least to start the season.
Hertl is 19, Nieto is 20 and Hamilton is 21. Hertl might be the one to watch closest, as he was selected 17th overall in the 2012 NHL Draft. To some extent, injuries opened the door for this trio, but perhaps one or more can stick after being given a shot.
Stalock, 26, isn’t a spring chicken in net. Still, he only has three games at the NHL level on his resume, so he’s only experienced at lower levels.
The 2005 fourth-round pick expressed gratitude regarding the team’s patience in developing him.
“It’s been quite a four or five years,” Stalock said. “It’s amazing the way the organization stuck with me, and now giving me a chance to get back to where I was at a few years ago is pretty special, and I’m looking forward to it.”
San Jose’s counting on him, even if Antti Niemi carries a hefty workload for another season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)