Sep 30, 2013, 12:36 PM EST
The Ottawa Senators have made a surprising decision to start the campaign, sending sophomore Mika Zibanejad to AHL Binghamton rather than beginning the year in Ottawa.
Zibanejad, 20, was Ottawa’s first-round pick (sixth overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft and played well for the club last season, his first full NHL campaign. The Swedish forward finished fourth on the team in scoring (20 points in 42 games) — as a 19-year-old — then proceeded to score four points in 10 playoff games while averaging over 13 minutes a night.
The motives behind this decision are unclear, but it was known Ottawa wanted to keep Stephane Da Costa and were afraid of exposing him to waivers (Zibanejad doesn’t need to clear them to go to the AHL).
What’s more, youngster Jean-Gabriel Pageau has performed admirably this preseason and has apparently earned himself a spot on the team to start the year.
It’s also possible this move could’ve been cost-related. The Sens are working under a tight internal budget this season and Zibanejad, while still on his entry-level contract, does carry a cap hit of $1.74 million.
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 0
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 57
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 80
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 29
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (80)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)