Sep 30, 2013, 11:15 AM EST
Boone Jenner might not be a household name, but that could change soon.
“Based on what they were able to do and how they were able to play as a group, I would be foolish to try and experiment with (Jenner) now somewhere else,” Blue Jackets coach Todd Richards told the Columbus Dispatch. “They worked so well together.”
The Jenner-Gaborik-Dubinsky trio was put together early in the preseason and starred throughout. Jenner showed offensive upside, especially in a 5-4 win over Carolina when he chipped in with a goal and an assist.
A former OHL Oshawa selected in the second round (37th overall) of the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Jenner impressed the Jackets at last year’s training camp before being made one of the team’s final cuts. This year, the Jackets couldn’t ignore the growth in his game and physical presence, as the 6-foot-2, 204-pound Jenner loves to take the body.
It’ll be interesting to see if he can corral his energy and play an effective NHL game. Jenner has been tabbed as a reckless player in the past, most notably while playing for Team Canada’s junior team. The IIHF suspended Jenner earlier this year for a late check on a Swedish defenseman during a pre-World Juniors tourney exhibition game.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 5
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 34
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 69
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 32
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 63
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)