Sep 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EST
The Pittsburgh Penguins are not — repeat: not — currently interested in Ilya Bryzgalov.
That’s according to Pens beat writer Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, who cites a “very reliable source” in the wake of yesterday’s report to the contrary.
If Fleury gets off to a solid start, the Pens may not feel the need to bring in an experienced backup. But if he’s as shaky as he was in the playoffs and Vokoun’s future remains cloudy, they may opt to do something about it.
Whether that something is Bryzgalov is another question. The 33-year-old comes with a fair bit of baggage, and he wouldn’t arrive in Pittsburgh without a good-sized media circus surrounding him. Not to mention, he wasn’t very good last year in Philly.
Unfortunately for the Pens, there isn’t much in the way of available free agents. Jose Theodore and Johan Hedberg are still unsigned for a reason. So for now it’s up to Fleury. But if he struggles out of the gate, feel free to fire up the Ryan Miller speculation.
Related: Marc-Andre Fleury is under pressure
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 13
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 37
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)