Sep 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are not — repeat: not — currently interested in Ilya Bryzgalov.
That’s according to Pens beat writer Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, who cites a “very reliable source” in the wake of yesterday’s report to the contrary.
If Fleury gets off to a solid start, the Pens may not feel the need to bring in an experienced backup. But if he’s as shaky as he was in the playoffs and Vokoun’s future remains cloudy, they may opt to do something about it.
Whether that something is Bryzgalov is another question. The 33-year-old comes with a fair bit of baggage, and he wouldn’t arrive in Pittsburgh without a good-sized media circus surrounding him. Not to mention, he wasn’t very good last year in Philly.
Unfortunately for the Pens, there isn’t much in the way of available free agents. Jose Theodore and Johan Hedberg are still unsigned for a reason. So for now it’s up to Fleury. But if he struggles out of the gate, feel free to fire up the Ryan Miller speculation.
Related: Marc-Andre Fleury is under pressure
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)