Sep 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are not — repeat: not — currently interested in Ilya Bryzgalov.
That’s according to Pens beat writer Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, who cites a “very reliable source” in the wake of yesterday’s report to the contrary.
If Fleury gets off to a solid start, the Pens may not feel the need to bring in an experienced backup. But if he’s as shaky as he was in the playoffs and Vokoun’s future remains cloudy, they may opt to do something about it.
Whether that something is Bryzgalov is another question. The 33-year-old comes with a fair bit of baggage, and he wouldn’t arrive in Pittsburgh without a good-sized media circus surrounding him. Not to mention, he wasn’t very good last year in Philly.
Unfortunately for the Pens, there isn’t much in the way of available free agents. Jose Theodore and Johan Hedberg are still unsigned for a reason. So for now it’s up to Fleury. But if he struggles out of the gate, feel free to fire up the Ryan Miller speculation.
Related: Marc-Andre Fleury is under pressure
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)