Sep 30, 2013, 4:45 PM EDT
The Pittsburgh Penguins are not — repeat: not — currently interested in Ilya Bryzgalov.
That’s according to Pens beat writer Josh Yohe of the Tribune-Review, who cites a “very reliable source” in the wake of yesterday’s report to the contrary.
If Fleury gets off to a solid start, the Pens may not feel the need to bring in an experienced backup. But if he’s as shaky as he was in the playoffs and Vokoun’s future remains cloudy, they may opt to do something about it.
Whether that something is Bryzgalov is another question. The 33-year-old comes with a fair bit of baggage, and he wouldn’t arrive in Pittsburgh without a good-sized media circus surrounding him. Not to mention, he wasn’t very good last year in Philly.
Unfortunately for the Pens, there isn’t much in the way of available free agents. Jose Theodore and Johan Hedberg are still unsigned for a reason. So for now it’s up to Fleury. But if he struggles out of the gate, feel free to fire up the Ryan Miller speculation.
Related: Marc-Andre Fleury is under pressure
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)