Sep 30, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t played a single regular season game in 2013-14 and their injury list is already distressingly long. The team announced on Monday that Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves were placed on the LTIR while Jordin Tootoo and Jonas Gustavsson were placed on the normal injured reserve.
Helm and Eaves will sit out a minimum of 10 games, making an Oct. 23 home game against the Ottawa Senators the first contest they’d be eligible to play in. Of course, there are no guarantees regarding when Helm, 26, and Eaves, 29, might be able to suit up again.
Helm was limited to a single contest in 2013 thanks to back problems, although his latest issue might be groin-related (you never know with NHL teams). Eaves is dealing with an ankle injury, but was at least able to play in 34 contests last season.
Losing both is rough for Detroit, especially from a penalty killing standpoint.
As far as Gustavsson and Tootoo are concerned, they’ll be out for seven days, though assignments can also be retroactive to an early date.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)