Sep 30, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t played a single regular season game in 2013-14 and their injury list is already distressingly long. The team announced on Monday that Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves were placed on the LTIR while Jordin Tootoo and Jonas Gustavsson were placed on the normal injured reserve.
Helm and Eaves will sit out a minimum of 10 games, making an Oct. 23 home game against the Ottawa Senators the first contest they’d be eligible to play in. Of course, there are no guarantees regarding when Helm, 26, and Eaves, 29, might be able to suit up again.
Helm was limited to a single contest in 2013 thanks to back problems, although his latest issue might be groin-related (you never know with NHL teams). Eaves is dealing with an ankle injury, but was at least able to play in 34 contests last season.
Losing both is rough for Detroit, especially from a penalty killing standpoint.
As far as Gustavsson and Tootoo are concerned, they’ll be out for seven days, though assignments can also be retroactive to an early date.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)