Sep 30, 2013, 7:44 PM EDT
The Detroit Red Wings haven’t played a single regular season game in 2013-14 and their injury list is already distressingly long. The team announced on Monday that Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves were placed on the LTIR while Jordin Tootoo and Jonas Gustavsson were placed on the normal injured reserve.
Helm and Eaves will sit out a minimum of 10 games, making an Oct. 23 home game against the Ottawa Senators the first contest they’d be eligible to play in. Of course, there are no guarantees regarding when Helm, 26, and Eaves, 29, might be able to suit up again.
Helm was limited to a single contest in 2013 thanks to back problems, although his latest issue might be groin-related (you never know with NHL teams). Eaves is dealing with an ankle injury, but was at least able to play in 34 contests last season.
Losing both is rough for Detroit, especially from a penalty killing standpoint.
As far as Gustavsson and Tootoo are concerned, they’ll be out for seven days, though assignments can also be retroactive to an early date.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 35
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 44
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 52
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (57)