Sep 30, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
After a tough year under John Tortorella, many wondered how Brad Richards would fare under new Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault.
So far, it’s gone pretty well.
“We’ve still got two guys out, and you’ve got three centers [Richards, Stepan and Derick Brassard] that want to play in offensive situations,” Richards explained. “I’m playing with Rick and Step, so hopefully we can get something going.
Down a pair of key wingers in captain Ryan Callahan and Carl Hagelin, the Rangers are turning to Richards — who did play some wing with the Bolts and Stars — to fill the void. While the 33-year-old struggled at times last season and was made a healthy scratch in the playoffs, there’s some belief he can rediscover his game after a busy offseason of training and a new opportunity, courtesy Vigneault.
“If it works, that means we’re staying,” Richards said of his partnership with Stepan and Nash. “And if we’re staying, that means it’s working.”
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 6
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 82
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)