Sep 30, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Penguins made a pair of additions to their IR list on Monday — one expected, one surprising.
Letang, a Norris finalist from last season, suffered an undisclosed lower-body injury during Friday’s practice. While the club is playing coy with the severity of said injury, the Post-Gazette reports the injury is “not serious or long-term.”
The 26-year-old rearguard will miss Pittsburgh’s season opener against New Jersey but, if placed on IR retroactive to Friday, he could be ready to play on Saturday against Buffalo.
In a move related to Letang’s IR designation, the Pens kept 2012 first-rounder Olli Maatta with the club to open the season. Maatta, 19, has spent the last two seasons with OHL London but starred in training camp and exhibition games.
- Flames sign Devin Setoguchi 3
- Under Pressure: Turris, MacArthur & Ryan 1
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 12
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33