Sep 30, 2013, 6:03 PM EDT
The Penguins made a pair of additions to their IR list on Monday — one expected, one surprising.
Letang, a Norris finalist from last season, suffered an undisclosed lower-body injury during Friday’s practice. While the club is playing coy with the severity of said injury, the Post-Gazette reports the injury is “not serious or long-term.”
The 26-year-old rearguard will miss Pittsburgh’s season opener against New Jersey but, if placed on IR retroactive to Friday, he could be ready to play on Saturday against Buffalo.
In a move related to Letang’s IR designation, the Pens kept 2012 first-rounder Olli Maatta with the club to open the season. Maatta, 19, has spent the last two seasons with OHL London but starred in training camp and exhibition games.
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 17
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 16
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 37
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 7
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 44
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 105
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (89)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)