Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 AM EST
Gustav Nyquist has become a victim of the numbers game.
On Monday, hours before NHL rosters were due, Detroit sent Nyquist to its AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids, ensuring the Swedish forward wouldn’t be with the Wings to open the 2013-14 campaign.
Nyquist, 24, was the last of Detroit’s RFAs to re-up with the club this summer, signing a two-year, $1.9 million extension in August. That came on the heels of a solid 2013 campaign, in which Nyquist scored six points in 22 regular season games and five in 14 playoff appearances.
Following Detroit’s loss to Chicago in the Western Conference semifinals, Nyquist went to Grand Rapids and helped the Griffins capture the Calder Cup.
Unfortunately, Detroit’s glut of forwards resulted in Nyquist being the odd man out this season.
The club put itself in a bit of a bind by signing Dan Cleary to an extension at the start of training camp, leaving itself with too many forwards and contracts. Because he was able to go to the AHL without having to clear waivers, Nyquist quickly became the logical choice to send packing.
Nyquist wasn’t the only player Detroit moved in an effort to get cap compliant. In an earlier transaction, Holland put another forward — Cory Emmerton, who appeared in all 48 games last season — on waivers.
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 33
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 20
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (154)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)