Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Gustav Nyquist has become a victim of the numbers game.
On Monday, hours before NHL rosters were due, Detroit sent Nyquist to its AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids, ensuring the Swedish forward wouldn’t be with the Wings to open the 2013-14 campaign.
Nyquist, 24, was the last of Detroit’s RFAs to re-up with the club this summer, signing a two-year, $1.9 million extension in August. That came on the heels of a solid 2013 campaign, in which Nyquist scored six points in 22 regular season games and five in 14 playoff appearances.
Following Detroit’s loss to Chicago in the Western Conference semifinals, Nyquist went to Grand Rapids and helped the Griffins capture the Calder Cup.
Unfortunately, Detroit’s glut of forwards resulted in Nyquist being the odd man out this season.
The club put itself in a bit of a bind by signing Dan Cleary to an extension at the start of training camp, leaving itself with too many forwards and contracts. Because he was able to go to the AHL without having to clear waivers, Nyquist quickly became the logical choice to send packing.
Nyquist wasn’t the only player Detroit moved in an effort to get cap compliant. In an earlier transaction, Holland put another forward — Cory Emmerton, who appeared in all 48 games last season — on waivers.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)