Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 AM EST
Gustav Nyquist has become a victim of the numbers game.
On Monday, hours before NHL rosters were due, Detroit sent Nyquist to its AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids, ensuring the Swedish forward wouldn’t be with the Wings to open the 2013-14 campaign.
Nyquist, 24, was the last of Detroit’s RFAs to re-up with the club this summer, signing a two-year, $1.9 million extension in August. That came on the heels of a solid 2013 campaign, in which Nyquist scored six points in 22 regular season games and five in 14 playoff appearances.
Following Detroit’s loss to Chicago in the Western Conference semifinals, Nyquist went to Grand Rapids and helped the Griffins capture the Calder Cup.
Unfortunately, Detroit’s glut of forwards resulted in Nyquist being the odd man out this season.
The club put itself in a bit of a bind by signing Dan Cleary to an extension at the start of training camp, leaving itself with too many forwards and contracts. Because he was able to go to the AHL without having to clear waivers, Nyquist quickly became the logical choice to send packing.
Nyquist wasn’t the only player Detroit moved in an effort to get cap compliant. In an earlier transaction, Holland put another forward — Cory Emmerton, who appeared in all 48 games last season — on waivers.
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 3
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 1
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 14
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 26
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 23
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)