Sep 30, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Gustav Nyquist has become a victim of the numbers game.
On Monday, hours before NHL rosters were due, Detroit sent Nyquist to its AHL affiliate in Grand Rapids, ensuring the Swedish forward wouldn’t be with the Wings to open the 2013-14 campaign.
Nyquist, 24, was the last of Detroit’s RFAs to re-up with the club this summer, signing a two-year, $1.9 million extension in August. That came on the heels of a solid 2013 campaign, in which Nyquist scored six points in 22 regular season games and five in 14 playoff appearances.
Following Detroit’s loss to Chicago in the Western Conference semifinals, Nyquist went to Grand Rapids and helped the Griffins capture the Calder Cup.
Unfortunately, Detroit’s glut of forwards resulted in Nyquist being the odd man out this season.
The club put itself in a bit of a bind by signing Dan Cleary to an extension at the start of training camp, leaving itself with too many forwards and contracts. Because he was able to go to the AHL without having to clear waivers, Nyquist quickly became the logical choice to send packing.
Nyquist wasn’t the only player Detroit moved in an effort to get cap compliant. In an earlier transaction, Holland put another forward — Cory Emmerton, who appeared in all 48 games last season — on waivers.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)