Sep 30, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs decided to keep blue-chip prospect Morgan Rielly with the team, at least for now, head coach Randy Carlyle confirmed to reporters including TSN’s David Alter.
Rielly, 19, was the fifth choice of the 2012 NHL Draft.
He scored 54 points in 60 games for the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors* and also squeezed in 14 regular season and eight playoff contests with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL last season.
The Buds will need to decide whether they want to keep the scoring blueliner at the NHL level or send him back to the junior level after nine regular season contests.
As the Globe & Mail points out, Rielly is one of two rookies who made Toronto’s opening roster, as Carter Ashton is also in the mix. Ashton could very well get pushed out by David Clarkson, whose suspension will end just after that nine-game deadline.
* – Yup, Canadian junior team names are the greatest.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)