Sep 30, 2013, 8:58 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs decided to keep blue-chip prospect Morgan Rielly with the team, at least for now, head coach Randy Carlyle confirmed to reporters including TSN’s David Alter.
Rielly, 19, was the fifth choice of the 2012 NHL Draft.
He scored 54 points in 60 games for the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors* and also squeezed in 14 regular season and eight playoff contests with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL last season.
The Buds will need to decide whether they want to keep the scoring blueliner at the NHL level or send him back to the junior level after nine regular season contests.
As the Globe & Mail points out, Rielly is one of two rookies who made Toronto’s opening roster, as Carter Ashton is also in the mix. Ashton could very well get pushed out by David Clarkson, whose suspension will end just after that nine-game deadline.
* – Yup, Canadian junior team names are the greatest.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 2
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 0
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 2
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)