Sep 30, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs decided to keep blue-chip prospect Morgan Rielly with the team, at least for now, head coach Randy Carlyle confirmed to reporters including TSN’s David Alter.
Rielly, 19, was the fifth choice of the 2012 NHL Draft.
He scored 54 points in 60 games for the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors* and also squeezed in 14 regular season and eight playoff contests with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL last season.
The Buds will need to decide whether they want to keep the scoring blueliner at the NHL level or send him back to the junior level after nine regular season contests.
As the Globe & Mail points out, Rielly is one of two rookies who made Toronto’s opening roster, as Carter Ashton is also in the mix. Ashton could very well get pushed out by David Clarkson, whose suspension will end just after that nine-game deadline.
* – Yup, Canadian junior team names are the greatest.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)