Sep 30, 2013, 8:58 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs decided to keep blue-chip prospect Morgan Rielly with the team, at least for now, head coach Randy Carlyle confirmed to reporters including TSN’s David Alter.
Rielly, 19, was the fifth choice of the 2012 NHL Draft.
He scored 54 points in 60 games for the WHL’s Moose Jaw Warriors* and also squeezed in 14 regular season and eight playoff contests with the Toronto Marlies in the AHL last season.
The Buds will need to decide whether they want to keep the scoring blueliner at the NHL level or send him back to the junior level after nine regular season contests.
As the Globe & Mail points out, Rielly is one of two rookies who made Toronto’s opening roster, as Carter Ashton is also in the mix. Ashton could very well get pushed out by David Clarkson, whose suspension will end just after that nine-game deadline.
* – Yup, Canadian junior team names are the greatest.
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 0
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 5
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 48
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 41
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (48)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (41)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)