Sep 30, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s troublesome hip flexor won’t keep him out of the lineup for Tuesday.
“I’m in,” Laich told the Washington Post. “Oct. 1 was the date that I had circled to be ready for. I would like to have had a couple more exhibition games but I felt great out there today and I’m in as far as I know.
“It’s their call, but 100 percent, I feel great and I’m ready to go.”
The past calendar year hasn’t been a good one for Laich’s health. The 30-year-old missed almost all of last season with a nagging groin injury and was hurt again to start training camp when he tweaked his hip.
The injury has sidelined Laich for much of camp — he’s practiced sporadically and only played one exhibition game — but that wasn’t enough to prevent him from going up against the defending champs on opening night.
The Post’s Katie Carrera said it’s expected Laich will open Tuesday night’s game as a left winger on a line with center Mikhail Grabovski who, ironically enough, was signed partly as an insurance clause at center should the oft-injured Laich be unable to play.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)