Sep 30, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s troublesome hip flexor won’t keep him out of the lineup for Tuesday.
“I’m in,” Laich told the Washington Post. “Oct. 1 was the date that I had circled to be ready for. I would like to have had a couple more exhibition games but I felt great out there today and I’m in as far as I know.
“It’s their call, but 100 percent, I feel great and I’m ready to go.”
The past calendar year hasn’t been a good one for Laich’s health. The 30-year-old missed almost all of last season with a nagging groin injury and was hurt again to start training camp when he tweaked his hip.
The injury has sidelined Laich for much of camp — he’s practiced sporadically and only played one exhibition game — but that wasn’t enough to prevent him from going up against the defending champs on opening night.
The Post’s Katie Carrera said it’s expected Laich will open Tuesday night’s game as a left winger on a line with center Mikhail Grabovski who, ironically enough, was signed partly as an insurance clause at center should the oft-injured Laich be unable to play.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)