Sep 30, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s troublesome hip flexor won’t keep him out of the lineup for Tuesday.
“I’m in,” Laich told the Washington Post. “Oct. 1 was the date that I had circled to be ready for. I would like to have had a couple more exhibition games but I felt great out there today and I’m in as far as I know.
“It’s their call, but 100 percent, I feel great and I’m ready to go.”
The past calendar year hasn’t been a good one for Laich’s health. The 30-year-old missed almost all of last season with a nagging groin injury and was hurt again to start training camp when he tweaked his hip.
The injury has sidelined Laich for much of camp — he’s practiced sporadically and only played one exhibition game — but that wasn’t enough to prevent him from going up against the defending champs on opening night.
The Post’s Katie Carrera said it’s expected Laich will open Tuesday night’s game as a left winger on a line with center Mikhail Grabovski who, ironically enough, was signed partly as an insurance clause at center should the oft-injured Laich be unable to play.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25