Sep 30, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT
Brooks Laich‘s troublesome hip flexor won’t keep him out of the lineup for Tuesday.
“I’m in,” Laich told the Washington Post. “Oct. 1 was the date that I had circled to be ready for. I would like to have had a couple more exhibition games but I felt great out there today and I’m in as far as I know.
“It’s their call, but 100 percent, I feel great and I’m ready to go.”
The past calendar year hasn’t been a good one for Laich’s health. The 30-year-old missed almost all of last season with a nagging groin injury and was hurt again to start training camp when he tweaked his hip.
The injury has sidelined Laich for much of camp — he’s practiced sporadically and only played one exhibition game — but that wasn’t enough to prevent him from going up against the defending champs on opening night.
The Post’s Katie Carrera said it’s expected Laich will open Tuesday night’s game as a left winger on a line with center Mikhail Grabovski who, ironically enough, was signed partly as an insurance clause at center should the oft-injured Laich be unable to play.
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 12
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 9
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 (57)