Sep 30, 2013, 4:20 PM EST
Brooks Laich‘s troublesome hip flexor won’t keep him out of the lineup for Tuesday.
“I’m in,” Laich told the Washington Post. “Oct. 1 was the date that I had circled to be ready for. I would like to have had a couple more exhibition games but I felt great out there today and I’m in as far as I know.
“It’s their call, but 100 percent, I feel great and I’m ready to go.”
The past calendar year hasn’t been a good one for Laich’s health. The 30-year-old missed almost all of last season with a nagging groin injury and was hurt again to start training camp when he tweaked his hip.
The injury has sidelined Laich for much of camp — he’s practiced sporadically and only played one exhibition game — but that wasn’t enough to prevent him from going up against the defending champs on opening night.
The Post’s Katie Carrera said it’s expected Laich will open Tuesday night’s game as a left winger on a line with center Mikhail Grabovski who, ironically enough, was signed partly as an insurance clause at center should the oft-injured Laich be unable to play.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 149
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (149)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)