Sep 30, 2013, 3:03 PM EDT
It sounds like veteran defenseman Hal Gill has found a spot on the Philadelphia Flyers.
From CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio:
Gill says Holmgren has lots on his plate and was told to "hang in." As soon as FLyers can LTIR someone, he will be signed as 8th d-man.—
Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) September 30, 2013
A trade also remains a possibility, perhaps one involving Andrej Meszaros.
Gill, 38, played 32 games last season for the Predators and came to Flyers camp on a tryout. A defensive specialist, his addition (if it happens) could help a team that struggled in its own end last season.
“As a team we need to make sure everyone is on the same page, that there is a commitment to defense,” Gill said, per CSN Philly. “That is what we worked a lot on [Sunday] and you saw that in practice. Making clean plays, being responsible defensively. When you do that, your offense and creating offense comes off that.”
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 23
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 47
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 18
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 11
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 25
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 98
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 40
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (73)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)