Flyers expected to sign d-man Gill

Sep 30, 2013, 3:03 PM EST

It sounds like veteran defenseman Hal Gill has found a spot on the Philadelphia Flyers.

From CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio:

The Flyers, of course, are expected to put Chris Pronger on long-term injured reserve. Ditto for Marc-Andre Bourdon.

A trade also remains a possibility, perhaps one involving Andrej Meszaros.

Gill, 38, played 32 games last season for the Predators and came to Flyers camp on a tryout. A defensive specialist, his addition (if it happens) could help a team that struggled in its own end last season.

“As a team we need to make sure everyone is on the same page, that there is a commitment to defense,” Gill said, per CSN Philly. “That is what we worked a lot on [Sunday] and you saw that in practice. Making clean plays, being responsible defensively. When you do that, your offense and creating offense comes off that.”

1. hockey412 - Sep 30, 2013 at 3:13 PM

Panaccio is creepy.

Gill’s a solid pick-up, though. Hopefully Detroit won’t swoop back in and sign him first :)

• ibieiniid - Sep 30, 2013 at 3:53 PM

those are probably the nicest words a hockey fan has ever said about Tim Panaccio.

• matthewmacisaac - Oct 1, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I think Panaccio is really the Burger King.

• hockey412 - Oct 1, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Or the Hamburgler but in a fake mustache…good call –

2. curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM

In unrelated news Lavy said he stands by his words that Girioux is the best player in the world. hahahahaha.

• ibieiniid - Sep 30, 2013 at 3:56 PM

^^^here’s a guy laughing at a not funny thing he said on an article that isn’t at all about that not funny thing he said.

• curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:05 PM

Calling Giroux the best player in the world is funny. Unless your a flyer fan. Then its sad. I saw a flyer article and figured id bring it up. to get a reaction. Thanks for yours! Just wanted to point out how delusional your coach is. Carry on.

• ibieiniid - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:13 PM

you know that happened like a year and a half ago, right?

• curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Yea but when asked about it TODAY he said he stands by his statement that Giroux is STILL the best player in the world. Hence why I brought it up to prove how delusional he is. Don’t worry ill slow it down for you. I understand your a flyer fan.

• phillyboy20 - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM

So what was Lavy supposed to say when he was asked if he still thought Giroux was the best? Oh no I take it back he’s no longer the best player in the world…of course he’s going to stand by HIS CURRENT best player.

Now if he was retired or fired and still said he was the best in the world then you could argue he might be a little delusional.

• curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

So your saying saying that giroux confidence is so fragile that his coach retracting his best player in the WORLD statement would be to damaging for him to recover from. Better keep on lying then.

• curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Sorry dbhordes2 I meant “you’r” . I’m still in preseason comment posting form.

3. macgrubie - Sep 30, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Was skeptical that he’d be able to add much at this point but sounds like he’s looked good by all accounts. Hope he can add some leadership and consistency.

4. dbrhodes2 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:17 PM

@curioustraveler1: Hey bro, I believe you mean, you’re, not your. As in you are a Flyers fan.

5. dbrhodes2 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I’ll slow it down for you, since you know, you’re a Penguins fan and all.

• curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:28 PM

haha so YOUR only comeback is that I missed a apostrophe. Why thank you dbrhodes2 for the grammar lesson. Ill proofread my online comments next time so their up to YOUR standards.

• ibieiniid - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

they’re*

• dbrhodes2 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:39 PM

You missed “I’ll” and “they’re”

Cheers, buddy.

• curioustraveler13 - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Thanks guys! Don’t know what I would do without you. Cheers!

• digbysellers - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:44 PM

missed “an” apostrophe. welcome!

6. pitpenguinsrulez - Sep 30, 2013 at 4:49 PM

People insulting others on here are why I love ProHockeyTalk

7. President Charles Logan - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:29 PM

Hal Gill good fit for the Orange and Black ….he’s solid

8. crazemastercraze - Sep 30, 2013 at 6:53 PM

This move will make them a cup contender for sure……snicker…..

9. antmel30 - Sep 30, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Curioustravler you must be a Pitt fan. I guess you can compare the giroux statement to the equivalence of calling fleury the starter even though he is watching vokoun from bench in playoffs. Se reason why you say fleury is still the franchise goalie because yes confidence is a big deal in hockey. So I don’t blame Pitt coach nor organization for backing fleury nor do I have an issue with lavys statement. Their job is to bring the best out of their players and if a statement is the best way for him to do that then so be it. It’s an opinion to buddy. Maybe he truly believes that who cares. He watches giroux on a daily basis watches him grow and practice day in and out and if he believes the best way to coach giroux is to pump his confidence then so be it. If you were the coach of a team or player would you tell that team or player now down they are better just go out and try your best no you install your better. Why you think USA beat soviets everyone in world told USA soviets are better besides herb brooks and we all know the result. Make fun of the statement all u want but I have no problem with it.

10. antmel30 - Sep 30, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Sorry for typos but I phones are tough to type on.

11. matthewmacisaac - Oct 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM

I think Gill will be a great addition, mostly because it moves Gervais farther away from the line-up. Why the Flyers don’t just do both sides a favor and waive him is beyond me. Gervais brings absolutely nothing to the table. If Gill is in the line-up, the Flyers would have Gill, Grossmann, and Schenn to keep the crease clear, while having Timmonen, Coburn, and Meszaros (or Gustafsson) as puck movers. That is a good defense.

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches