Sep 30, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils placed Patrik Elias on the injured reserve Monday, but that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t play in the 2013-14 opener, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti and the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Elias told Chere that his groin injury won’t stop him from suiting up on Thursday.
“The injury is gone,” Elias said. “I’ll be fine.”
The Devils have Mattias Tedenby on the non-roster/injury list, which gets New Jersey under the 23-man limit with Elias on the IR. If Elias indeed comes off on Wednesday, GM Lou Lamoriello will need to make a move to get them back to that mark.
It sounds like the 37-year-old might enter this season less than 100 percent, but his presence will certainly be appreciated.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)