Sep 30, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
The New Jersey Devils placed Patrik Elias on the injured reserve Monday, but that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t play in the 2013-14 opener, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti and the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Elias told Chere that his groin injury won’t stop him from suiting up on Thursday.
“The injury is gone,” Elias said. “I’ll be fine.”
The Devils have Mattias Tedenby on the non-roster/injury list, which gets New Jersey under the 23-man limit with Elias on the IR. If Elias indeed comes off on Wednesday, GM Lou Lamoriello will need to make a move to get them back to that mark.
It sounds like the 37-year-old might enter this season less than 100 percent, but his presence will certainly be appreciated.
- Mark Howe on his father’s health: ‘He’s back in the ballgame’ 0
- Holland: ‘I’m not against fighting’ 3
- Preds’ Neal fined for diving 17
- After surprising start, Flames sign Hartley to multi-year contract extension 4
- Update your wallcharts: Rangers confirm Brassard has mumps 11
- Video: Coyotes defeat Oilers with 0.3 seconds remaining in OT 3
- It’s ‘unlikely’ Duncan Keith has the mumps, says Blackhawks coach 3
- Bjugstad scores the winner as Panthers, Capitals make history with 20-round shootout 21
- Yep, Beau Bennett has the mumps 24
- (Video) PHT Extra: Would the Oilers really trade Taylor Hall? 11