Sep 30, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils placed Patrik Elias on the injured reserve Monday, but that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t play in the 2013-14 opener, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti and the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Elias told Chere that his groin injury won’t stop him from suiting up on Thursday.
“The injury is gone,” Elias said. “I’ll be fine.”
The Devils have Mattias Tedenby on the non-roster/injury list, which gets New Jersey under the 23-man limit with Elias on the IR. If Elias indeed comes off on Wednesday, GM Lou Lamoriello will need to make a move to get them back to that mark.
It sounds like the 37-year-old might enter this season less than 100 percent, but his presence will certainly be appreciated.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 25
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40