Sep 30, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
The New Jersey Devils placed Patrik Elias on the injured reserve Monday, but that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t play in the 2013-14 opener, according to the Bergen Record’s Tom Gulitti and the Newark Star-Ledger’s Rich Chere.
Elias told Chere that his groin injury won’t stop him from suiting up on Thursday.
“The injury is gone,” Elias said. “I’ll be fine.”
The Devils have Mattias Tedenby on the non-roster/injury list, which gets New Jersey under the 23-man limit with Elias on the IR. If Elias indeed comes off on Wednesday, GM Lou Lamoriello will need to make a move to get them back to that mark.
It sounds like the 37-year-old might enter this season less than 100 percent, but his presence will certainly be appreciated.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 90
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32