Sep 30, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
In a day 23-year-old forward Joe Colborne went from being unlikely to make the Toronto Maple Leafs’ roster out of training camp to being traded and getting ready to play for his hometown Calgary Flames.
The move quickly brought back a lot of memories.
“One time, when I was about six years old,” Colborne told the Calgary Sun. “When you come out between periods and you play for three minutes and everyone’s just following the puck around. But you remember that.
“I remember meeting Jarome (Iginla) when I think he was a rookie. Those memories excite me and get me going.”
It’s not surprising that he would label the opportunity to play for the Flames as a dream come true, but this might also be great news for his career.
Since being taken with the 16th overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Colborne has struggled to stick with an NHL club. He’s put up some decent numbers in the AHL, but has only 16 NHL contests under his belt.
That’s about to change as the Flames are in need of a big center. He’s likely to start the season in a bottom-six role, but there’s even an opening for him to end up on a scoring line.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)