Sep 30, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
In a day 23-year-old forward Joe Colborne went from being unlikely to make the Toronto Maple Leafs’ roster out of training camp to being traded and getting ready to play for his hometown Calgary Flames.
The move quickly brought back a lot of memories.
“One time, when I was about six years old,” Colborne told the Calgary Sun. “When you come out between periods and you play for three minutes and everyone’s just following the puck around. But you remember that.
“I remember meeting Jarome (Iginla) when I think he was a rookie. Those memories excite me and get me going.”
It’s not surprising that he would label the opportunity to play for the Flames as a dream come true, but this might also be great news for his career.
Since being taken with the 16th overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Colborne has struggled to stick with an NHL club. He’s put up some decent numbers in the AHL, but has only 16 NHL contests under his belt.
That’s about to change as the Flames are in need of a big center. He’s likely to start the season in a bottom-six role, but there’s even an opening for him to end up on a scoring line.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)