Sep 30, 2013, 9:01 AM EDT
In a day 23-year-old forward Joe Colborne went from being unlikely to make the Toronto Maple Leafs’ roster out of training camp to being traded and getting ready to play for his hometown Calgary Flames.
The move quickly brought back a lot of memories.
“One time, when I was about six years old,” Colborne told the Calgary Sun. “When you come out between periods and you play for three minutes and everyone’s just following the puck around. But you remember that.
“I remember meeting Jarome (Iginla) when I think he was a rookie. Those memories excite me and get me going.”
It’s not surprising that he would label the opportunity to play for the Flames as a dream come true, but this might also be great news for his career.
Since being taken with the 16th overall pick in the 2008 NHL Entry Draft, Colborne has struggled to stick with an NHL club. He’s put up some decent numbers in the AHL, but has only 16 NHL contests under his belt.
That’s about to change as the Flames are in need of a big center. He’s likely to start the season in a bottom-six role, but there’s even an opening for him to end up on a scoring line.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)