Sep 30, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have sent Ryan Murphy — their first round pick (12th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft — to AHL Charlotte, the club announced on Monday.
With the move, Carolina has cemented its roster for the opening of the 2013-14 campaign.
Murphy was thought to have a good shot of making the ‘Canes roster to start the year, especially after Joni Pitkanen was lost for the season with the after effects of a broken heel. The 20-year-old made his NHL debut last season, appearing in four games while averaging 21 minutes per, and was one of the most highly-touted prospects in the coveted defensive class of ’11.
Murphy, a former OHL Kitchener, standout actually made the ‘Canes out of his first NHL training camp in 2011, but failed to appear in a game before Carolina re-assigned him to junior.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the Murphy demotion may be a “roster manipulation.”
CAR’s Ryan Murphy, on other hand, sent to Charlotte today but highly likely to be in Canes’ opening-night lineup. Roster manipulation.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) September 30, 2013
Canes owner Peter Karmanos said Murphy move was cap-related. Would be back soon.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 30, 2013
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 3
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)