Sep 30, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have sent Ryan Murphy — their first round pick (12th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft — to AHL Charlotte, the club announced on Monday.
With the move, Carolina has cemented its roster for the opening of the 2013-14 campaign.
Murphy was thought to have a good shot of making the ‘Canes roster to start the year, especially after Joni Pitkanen was lost for the season with the after effects of a broken heel. The 20-year-old made his NHL debut last season, appearing in four games while averaging 21 minutes per, and was one of the most highly-touted prospects in the coveted defensive class of ’11.
Murphy, a former OHL Kitchener, standout actually made the ‘Canes out of his first NHL training camp in 2011, but failed to appear in a game before Carolina re-assigned him to junior.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the Murphy demotion may be a “roster manipulation.”
CAR’s Ryan Murphy, on other hand, sent to Charlotte today but highly likely to be in Canes’ opening-night lineup. Roster manipulation.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) September 30, 2013
Canes owner Peter Karmanos said Murphy move was cap-related. Would be back soon.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 30, 2013
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 0
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 40
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (40)