Sep 30, 2013, 3:07 PM EST
The Carolina Hurricanes have sent Ryan Murphy — their first round pick (12th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft — to AHL Charlotte, the club announced on Monday.
With the move, Carolina has cemented its roster for the opening of the 2013-14 campaign.
Murphy was thought to have a good shot of making the ‘Canes roster to start the year, especially after Joni Pitkanen was lost for the season with the after effects of a broken heel. The 20-year-old made his NHL debut last season, appearing in four games while averaging 21 minutes per, and was one of the most highly-touted prospects in the coveted defensive class of ’11.
Murphy, a former OHL Kitchener, standout actually made the ‘Canes out of his first NHL training camp in 2011, but failed to appear in a game before Carolina re-assigned him to junior.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the Murphy demotion may be a “roster manipulation.”
CAR’s Ryan Murphy, on other hand, sent to Charlotte today but highly likely to be in Canes’ opening-night lineup. Roster manipulation.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) September 30, 2013
Canes owner Peter Karmanos said Murphy move was cap-related. Would be back soon.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 30, 2013
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)