Sep 30, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes have sent Ryan Murphy — their first round pick (12th overall) at the 2011 NHL Entry Draft — to AHL Charlotte, the club announced on Monday.
With the move, Carolina has cemented its roster for the opening of the 2013-14 campaign.
Murphy was thought to have a good shot of making the ‘Canes roster to start the year, especially after Joni Pitkanen was lost for the season with the after effects of a broken heel. The 20-year-old made his NHL debut last season, appearing in four games while averaging 21 minutes per, and was one of the most highly-touted prospects in the coveted defensive class of ’11.
Murphy, a former OHL Kitchener, standout actually made the ‘Canes out of his first NHL training camp in 2011, but failed to appear in a game before Carolina re-assigned him to junior.
According to TSN’s Bob McKenzie, the Murphy demotion may be a “roster manipulation.”
CAR’s Ryan Murphy, on other hand, sent to Charlotte today but highly likely to be in Canes’ opening-night lineup. Roster manipulation.
— Bob McKenzie (@TSNBobMcKenzie) September 30, 2013
Canes owner Peter Karmanos said Murphy move was cap-related. Would be back soon.
— Chip Alexander (@ice_chip) September 30, 2013
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 14
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 15
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 37
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)