Sep 30, 2013, 2:37 PM EDT
New Calgary Flames head of hockey operations, Brian Burke, is none too impressed with one of the team’s top prospects, Sven Baertschi.
Specifically, he’s not impressed with the 20-year-old’s commitment to playing in all three zones of the ice.
“This is a guy, right now, who’s focusing on one area,” Burke said, per Wes Gilberton of the Calgary Sun. “And even then, sporadically.”
“There’s three zones on the ice … and I don’t see that he’s learned to play and compete in two of them.”
Presumably, Burke is referring to the defensive and neutral zones as the two that Baertschi, a talented scorer, needs to play better in.
While Burke may been blunt in his assessment (when is he ever subtle?), he did say he’s “seen kids that age with those holes that turn into players.” Which is good, because the rebuilding Flames need Baertschi to turn into a player after drafting him 13th overall in 2011.
More on Baertschi’s preseason struggles here.
Update (3:07 p.m. ET): Despite all of the above, Baertschi made the Flames’ opening-day roster.
Update 2 (3:18 p.m. ET): Flames GM Jay Feaster provides more context…
Feaster said if he had a “Do Over” he would not have brought Baertschi up from Portland 2 years ago because expectations are too high
— JermainFranklin (@TSNJFranklin) September 30, 2013
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 0
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 9
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 57
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (61)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)