Sep 30, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks will head into the 2013-14 season with some serious health concerns.
On Monday, the club placed four key players — Jakob Silfverberg, Emerson Etem, Luca Sbisa and Sheldon Souray — on injured reserve, throwing a major wrench into the lineup for Wednesday’s season opener at Colorado.
Souray, 37, could be out until January with torn wrist ligaments suffered in August. He’s the only one of the four expected to be out long-term.
Silfverberg, 22, and Etem, 21, both missed time during training camp with lower-body and leg injuries, respectively. Neither practiced much, if at all, over the last two weeks.
Sbisa, 23, hurt his ankle in a preseason game against Phoenix and was originally thought to be out for two weeks. Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau said the Swiss defenseman was questionable for the season opener, but that status now appears in doubt.
As such, the Ducks will head into Colorado with something of a makeshift lineup. Newly acquired forward Matthieu Perreault will likely play a significant role right from the get-go and the likes of Hampus Lindholm, Peter Holland, Patrick Maroon and Devante Smith-Pelly will be with the Ducks to open the season.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 36
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 11
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)