Sep 30, 2013, 2:57 PM EDT
The Anaheim Ducks will head into the 2013-14 season with some serious health concerns.
On Monday, the club placed four key players — Jakob Silfverberg, Emerson Etem, Luca Sbisa and Sheldon Souray — on injured reserve, throwing a major wrench into the lineup for Wednesday’s season opener at Colorado.
Souray, 37, could be out until January with torn wrist ligaments suffered in August. He’s the only one of the four expected to be out long-term.
Silfverberg, 22, and Etem, 21, both missed time during training camp with lower-body and leg injuries, respectively. Neither practiced much, if at all, over the last two weeks.
Sbisa, 23, hurt his ankle in a preseason game against Phoenix and was originally thought to be out for two weeks. Ducks head coach Bruce Boudreau said the Swiss defenseman was questionable for the season opener, but that status now appears in doubt.
As such, the Ducks will head into Colorado with something of a makeshift lineup. Newly acquired forward Matthieu Perreault will likely play a significant role right from the get-go and the likes of Hampus Lindholm, Peter Holland, Patrick Maroon and Devante Smith-Pelly will be with the Ducks to open the season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)